Thursday, June 6, 2019

Interlude

I decided to watch the 75th Anniversary commemoration broadcast from Juno Beach this morning. Quite well done.

It still fascinates me that when I was a kid, WWII seemed like history long past but in fact when I joined the Black Watch Cadets in 1967, DDAY was only 23 years past. Today, 9/11 is only 18 years in the past. Makes you think.

Midway through today's fighting.
The battle is not yet lost or won.
Anyway, I did manage a couple of enjoyable hours at my wargames table this afternoon. I was a bit confused when I started since the rules weren't like the ones I remembered from my last test game but a bit of digging reminded me that I had tried several different draft rules during the game. The quick summary I did for my last post had been accidentally based on one of the rejected drafts.

It didn't take long to fix the post and get the game flowing properly but while the game is simple it's not aimed at one hour games but rather 2-4 hour games.
The armies are running out of reserves though so the game should wrap up tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Love the regimental mascot (to the left of the picture)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good old goat! Over 50 years of service with his regiment, never chewed anything he shouldn't.

      Delete
  2. When my draft call occurred in 1970 the Viet Nam War was still raging. Now, here we are, almost fifty years from that date with memories not as fresh as they once were. As we approach 75 years on for D-day, there are so many fewer survivors of that combat and with a very few years more even fewer as the inevitable scythe of old age gathers its bitter harvest. One interesting thing has occurred in the past year and that is the number of books published in English which purport to look at D-Day and the subsequent campaign in Western Europe through German eyes. History has a way of resurrecting these moments in memory. This is not such a bad thing as it allows us to reach a closer approximation of the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but each author has his own agenda and interprets the facts differently. Still, better many views than only one.

      Delete