Sunday, January 19, 2020

OK Enough Fun, Time To Get Back To Work

Yesterday Jeff, (http://armchaircommander.blogspot.com/) hosted a group of Nova Scotia wargamers for a 15mm  Nappy's Battle of Friedland game.  Hopefully he will be posting a Blog post including some of the great pics he posted on FB.

(Thanks for these pics Gary )
The Russian Right Wing commander trying to balance questionable command decisions with even more questionable die rolling. Luckily as many a Russian commander knows: "Quantity has a Quality of its own" and I errr..I mean..."he" eventually  crossed the streams and stormed the village on the hill with great loss despite the 5:1 odds.....(against my opponent ).
I will admit to a tinge of nostalgia at the sight of a table, loaded with 15mm troops yet not crowded, BUT, given that I needed to don reading glasses and peer closely to tell one unit from another, I'm not tempted to rebuild my 'lost' 15mm armies. Actually, I don't need to, apart from the horde of 15mm figures Jeff has painted, he has also acquired used figures from several different people including a bunch of my old 1799 Austrians and Russians, some of the latter which I have had the pleasure to command in battle again from time to time.

The rules are not really to my taste but by the end of this game, I was finally beginning to get a grip on them and enjoyed the battle despite several faux pas due largely to not yet having a sufficient understanding of the rules to properly assess risk. Of course, now that I'm getting a handle on the rules, the four NB Franco-Russian battles that Jeff had planned to fight are over! None the less, knowledge is never wasted and it was a good day in good company.

I even finally managed to play alongside the Fiery Monkey Boy at last!(see http://themonkeythatwalks.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-new-hope.html  for more pics and comments)  
FWIW The Russian Dragoons in Bicornes  are some of my old Battlehonours 1799 figures. In 15mm, the uniform anachronisms get a little lost in the crowd once you step back.

Meantime, at home, on a blustery snowy day, I've managed to clear some of the more drastic ideas from my head out and started to test the one page version of my 4" grid, 1 stand=a unit  version of the old Square Brigadier.

The game is a simple meeting engagement on random terrain with "brigades" arriving on random roads. Each side has a General, 14 single stand "companies" grouped into 4 brigades + 2 independent batteries on each side.   This is near to 1/2 the number of  units I have or intend to paint up.
Turn 4 is over and all troops are now present.

The game will resume Monday if the fates are gentle with a report to follow.



9 comments:

  1. Great looking game! I bet these 15s look tiny compared to you 54s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to be my main scale but I'd have a hard time shading and detailing them like I used to.

      Delete
  2. Was painting some 15s for a friend - didn't enjoy it ! - they are tiny !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've literally painted thousands of them but not these days.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out, Ross, it was good to see you! I'll also look forward to the next iteration of rules refinement. Grid systems seem to be making a come-back - have you seen / played any of the newer ones (eg. To the Strongest)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I gave up collecting rules a while back and 40 years of ancients decided I'd had enough. I still read about new ones and will try new ones at cons with friends

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, my 15mm Napoleonics have been relegated to a corner of the attic (to make room for more "active" figures in the man-cave). It's good to see a Napoleonic game report in this scale--something of a throwback nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told that they still sell briskly but one doesn't see a lot of them at conventions.

      Delete