Friday, January 3, 2020

Looking Ahead

More by coincidence than any sort of clever planning, I have reached the new year at a moment of hobby tranquility if not stasis so it  seemed like as good a time as any to pause for reflection and make plans form some vague intentions for the winter campaigning season.  (Yay Snow!) (in moderation...)



The next time the Governor General's Bodyguard needs to dismount, I'll have proper figures. 

Last year I managed to get each and every one of my active collections on the table for a game. It felt good but also made it hard to focus on anything, which may be one reason that I didn't do a lot of painting last year. That's a good thing since the shelves are full but I have no intention of giving that side of the hobby up yet. I have mentioned recently that I don't enjoy painting as much as I used to but I was thinking mostly of the business of churning out unit after unit of 12 or 20 figures with lots of detail. A few 40's with simple shading or a few  glossy toy soldiers is a different matter.

The  Highlanders starting recruiting men for a second unit to fight the French in May. He's got a ways to go before he's a soldier yet!
Casting, converting and painting another 11 Highlanders, 12 Emigres in round hats, 6 Riflemen and 36 more Revolutionary French infantry is pretty low on my list of things I feel like doing, esp as my casting work area is temporarily shut down but I'm looking forward to the resulting game so "Duty calls" and that will have to dominate my winter painting time along with flushing out a few important gaps in my 54mm Toy Soldier OB as periodic relief. I want to get at least a few of my new Doug Miller landsknechts done but I will have to be in the mood to handle the delicate assembly, complex colours and shading so it may slip till spring.

Game wise, once I have enough French AGW figures to add to some SYW stand-ins,  I need to practice A Gentleman's War and conscript a few friends so I can be ready to GM a multiplayer AGW game at Huzzah! in May.

For fun, I expect to keep my 54's busy. Despite some very enjoyable games with the 54's it was not their best year as I started the year with some doubts about the path I was on and the various paths not taken. So it was that I rebased the armies to singles and tried then rejected what seemed like a dozen different approaches and then parked them. Having now tried out all the other various ways that I thought I might, or should, want go with the 54's, I'm satisfied that I don't actually want to go any of those routes, so I'm reforming back to the way things were last New Year's and looking forward to more games.
Sittingbad (click)from Boxing Day 2018,
as it was and shall be again!

Of course should I get a sudden urge......buckle up!
 2020, here we come!


15 comments:

  1. Agree that painting figures against a background of the calmer waters of maintenance, is a much different prospect than the churn of having full or starter armies as the goal. Having 2019 seeing every part of the collection doing active service on the table is a worthy goal of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't part of the 2019 plan until the fall when I realized that all but a couple had already appeared whether by plan or impulse. Sometime it pays to ride the wave.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you intend to keep the 54s busy! Your basing experiments made me feel better about my own basing changes (as if that offers any kind of "bright side").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't spend a lot of effort or money on rebasing and have ample time, it doesn't strike me as a big deal.

      Delete
  3. The Gov General's Bodyguard look very smart Ross, and the Sittangbad picture from 2018 is just superb, a proper Toy Soldier game. Good luck with your vague intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to your vague intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite enjoy seeing the 54s on the table, so will be rooting for them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more they see action, the easier it seems to be to get them back out.

      Delete
  6. Tree down, painting area free, and I start 2020 with an ever-expanding range of projects to do or not do... looking over last year and amazed at the range of things I did, so both understand your satisfaction at reaching some of your goals re getting figures on the table and also being able to take a breath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing more of those wonderful figures coming to life during 2020 Ross. That Highlander is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks better in pictures than in person where his being a conversion of a clunky original us more obvious but a simple glossy finish forgives a lot.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your 2020 projects

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete