Wednesday, January 8, 2020

While we're waiting

Today was a snow day so I was sure I'd manage to write up a battle report of Tuesday's game and a good copy of the revised original Square Brigadier rules.........
Opening phases of Tuesday's game: On the first turn, the DG Bodyguard took advantage of a chance card giving a double move to gallop through town and seize a bridgehead over the river thus  giving the new dismounted troopers a chance to show their stuff. They held out for turn after turn against artillery and three times their numbers but help never came. 
I didn't write a game report though. Instead, I replayed the game using the updated rules as adopted after the first, rather enjoyable game which was played with various mid-game rule adjustments ( eg: drop a die vs cover or -1 from each die or just say 1/2 casualties, range 2 for rifles or 3, that sort of thing). Once that was successfully done, I then spent an unconscionable amount of time trying to use my mental powers to clear the driveway while sipping coffee and listening to youtube videos etc.

During the test game the Rebels pressed their attack against the Dominion position, their General having forgotten that he had already won unless Red counterattacked, throwing Blue back across the river and seizing one bridge themselves. It was a rather rash attack which resulted in heavy losses but it may have also fallen foul of some of the mid-game rule tweaks, as well as a sudden change in Red's luck.
Looking back over last year's 54mm games, almost all of their share of my time was spent putting to the test several alternative approaches to those Toy Soldier games. I had been quite happen with the games played in 2018 with the Square Brigadier but the games were neither very Toy Soldierish nor did they have an Old School air of detail with unit formations, relative scale and so forth and I thought that maybe my Toy Soldier games should have one or both of those things. There was also was a question of which exact niche the Toy Soldiers were supposed to be filling in the 19thC part of collection 19thC, other than being taller than my 40mm's. Were they to let me "play with toy soldiers",  "play abstract wargames",  "refight Historical battles and skirmishes", "play Imagi-Nation Battles", or something else?

So, last year I tried the various other approaches and found merit and fault with each but found that the merit of both faded with use while the faults grew. In short, knocking over soldiers and hiding guys behind rocks is fun sometimes when in the right mood but distracts from the real point of game  while I now find that too much detail and fiddliness  tends to get tedious to play while usually failing to get things "right" anyway  despite every increasing complications.

The Rebels fell back and took up defensive positions and for a while it looked like the game was over until Red suddenly remembered that he needed to counterattack or lose!
Oddly enough those are the same conclusions I've reached each time I've gone through this recently but I've never made such a thorough attempt to try the matter on the table. I'm afraid Prince Valiant is condemned to be my one "single figure" collection which will allow me to "play toy soldiers" if I get that urge while my 22mm ACW and War of 1812 armies will have the "refight historical battles" job as well as the usual generic scenarios set in their particular eras.

As the last card turned, Red launched a desperate attack at 1:1 odds and was rescued by the dice. The game was arguably a Pyrrhic win for Red since Blue's army morale broke as night fell but as they hadn't yet crossed the river, Blue could argue a draw by a strict reading of the scenario victory conditions.
 Updating the full 4 page version of the Square Brigadier was also on the list for today but I decided to write this post instead! 

Somewhere around turn 4 of 15 of today's game. The chaos in the background seems to be some sort of reaction by the universe to my presence.
 Will there be a battle report of the 2nd battle in Thursday or Friday morning's Newport Noodle? You never know.

10 comments:

  1. That in the background is what you call ... chaos?! You want to see entropy at work, you should see my place. I try - I do try - but...

    The Cosmos is a big place, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be fair thats the ordered corner where no big heaps of things allowed.

      Delete
  2. Chaos? Looks very organized. I'd love to know what all the books are!
    Looks like it was a nail-biting game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was at times to be sure.

      Ah the remains of my library, well 1/2 of it anyway and the whole is now 1/2 what it was 10 years ago and still isn't used as much as it once was.

      Delete
  3. One of the most wonderful things about a snowy day? Various cups or coffee or tea and watching it drift to the ground. Sounds wonderful.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And once that minute has passed, turning to entertaining myself, guikt free until its time to shovel.

      Delete
  4. On the plus side, now you know what you want from your toys. I figure the big boys are for prettiness. If I ever do 54mm, it'll be for the joy of painting them, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to do more practice on that cerebral method for clearing snow. I'm already expert in the the first 2/3s, the coffee and the music. It's just the white stuff in the driveway, the last 1/3, that doesn't seem to respond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get it to work, let me know, I eventually had to resource to muscles.

      Delete