Saturday, April 25, 2020

Chew Slowly, Its the Good Stuff

 Its a good time for going slow and enjoying the journey.

Today, there was little hobby time, but I finally added a second Saxon catapult crew figure. The first one has been working the thing by himself for over a decade.
The new crewman (in yellow) is simply a swordsman with broken sword whose sword arm has been reversed and his shield removed. Not terribly clever but really quick. 


The day before was cold and a little damp, just right for pondering wargame rules. The original games had been played using Medieval Mayhem, pretty much as printed in Battlegames magazine. These rules did not have fixed units, only adhoc groups. 

Once I more than doubled the number of figures available to use, things changed and I moved to more conventional rules and scenarios with fixed units. This made the larger games easier to play but the narrative suffered and it was hard to do anything other than the same conventional scenarios that I was playing with my other collections. No wonder I stopped adding figures.

Over the last few days, I have hammered out a new version of Stout Hearts and Willing Swords, the rules I started developing for my Prince Valiant games in 2013 but only used a few times. Now I just have to work out the scenario, organize the forces and ..... play!


10 comments:

  1. Hi Ross - sounds as though your really on top of what you want to achieve with Prince Valiant collections and Rules. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the old crewman is grateful for the help, tiring work those catapults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He usually had help but too many of them insisted on waving swords around or dressing like the enemy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes sir! I do have some 1/72nd copies that Revell did but these are the real Elastolin.

      Delete
  4. Just downloaded the rules: thanks! Looking forward to giving them a read and following along with the game reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love these Elastolin figures, very nice job on these :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ross. Just had a read through of the rules. Dumb question: what is the effect of a hit? Is there a difference between a hit from missile fire vs melee? Do you remove a figure for each hit (except for heroes, who are removed after several hits based on their "power") or do you just keep track of hits inflicted in a round for morale checks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Good question! Not sure if I accidentally deleted that or just forgot to specify. I fixed and/or added a couple of clarificatiins,errors, omissions, mispeakings etc yesterday but missed that one.

      An ordinary figure is removed (dead, wounded, run away etc) when it takes a hit. Heroes etc when they take their last hit.

      Delete