Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Course Correction

Its been a while since I took the time to relax and convert/paint a few figures  for the pleasure of it although that had been part of "the plan".  So, on Sunday, I decided it was time to put rules and games aside and  complete a couple of long overdue Elastolin Prince Valiant conversions.  I didn't worry about my wonky eyes, twitchy hand and so on, just let myself relax and enjoy the time.

Elastolin conversions. Each figure is composed from parts of 2 or 3 different figures.
(I'm probably going to matte these to match the rest rather than semi-glossing the whole collection but the jury is still out.)

I've also started reviewing my collections with an eye to enforcing my rule that each must provide  "a different kind of game" with all game types of interest being included.  So it is that Prince Micheal has been returned to a  simple skirmish game focusing on narrative as opposed to the battle game it had been turning itself into since the massive reinforcement arrived a few years ago. Excess figures will be shunted to the pool of figures that the new late medieval/fantasy 40mm game will draw upon.

"The Prince sent scouts to watch the tower and seek out any weaknesses."


Now I'm ready for battle. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I like converting figures - possibly because it makes me feel creative without needing the ability to sculpt things from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its pretty much where I started 50 years ago so feels natural.

      Delete
  2. Very nice pictures Ross. I admire your plan to use your different figures for different kinds of games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It haas been the plan for a long time but I forget sometimes and wander....

      Delete
  3. Nice photos Ross - will we see Prince Valiant himself in a future scenario -or cameo photo? Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Kev, the Prince has made cameo appearances now and then but I don't like to meddle with a famous character's history.

      Delete
  4. Conversions look great and I think the second photo is terrific. Like a seen from a swords and sandals movie or comic. Terrific stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was aiming for a Classic Comics or Prince Valiant strip look.

      Delete
  5. Art is in the doing, my friend! Agree with the master re the second photo, hadn't noticed the comic like composition etc until I read the comment. Very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fondly recall the Prince Michael narrative game reports and glad to hear that you have revalidated figs for this scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes having too much of a good thing leads us astray. "Now I have all these extra figures, I must find a way to include them" ..

      Delete