Wednesday, June 10, 2020

A Little's Not Alot But

Its not nothing either.

I was surprised that many 16thC horse armours had coloured cloth overcoats.

Another couple of busy days in the yard but I found time to reread more on the 1540's while resting tired muscles and managed to assemble a couple of kits and get a start on painting.

I also forced myself to try again to torture the lances into submission by dipping them into boiling water and then into cold but these devients were determined.  (Actually I've never been able to get that to work very well which suggests that my technique sucks.)  Hopefully I can find a source of resupply for appropriate wire or at least find a few old metal pikes to repurpose.

I've also decided to impose discipline and cut back to eight active collections with the rest going into reserve. I just don't have the time and energy to work on and play with twelve different collections. I would prefer just six active collections but there are too many table ready old friends that I don't want to do that to yet.

11 comments:

  1. I seem to recall some gamers using florists wire for their spear / javelin / pike / lance, though I have never seen anything that I consider heavy enough.

    A 'reserve' sounds a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rigid style of florist wire is how I armed all my homade Scots and Landsknect pikemen as well as my lancers. It comes in several thicknesses the larger of which is just right for 40mm pikes. Alas, I currently lack a local supplier of either that or brass wire so resupply requires planning. At least things are starting to open up here.

      Delete
  2. These figures will look terrific on the table. I admire your discipline re collections and await with interest the decisions you are going to make..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the discipline is intermittent and its taken me most of 5 decades to start catching up with Lawford and Young's advice though I don't look forward to the day I have to follow their advice and pick just one.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ross- With Plastics re-bending I immerse the part in a ceramic mug of Boiling Water - I leave the part there until it becomes soft - then I remove the hot part with a Falk - then holding the part into a 'Straight' position I then douse th part under cold running water from the Tap...this method does work. Hope this is a help. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev, I am assured by many modellers that it works. I suspect my tendancy to impatience that defeats me.

      Delete
  4. Re collections, basically what I do - one or two dominate for a period, I start getting interested again in one of the others and the cycle starts over again. Eventually every collection will have another day in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collections I have or have had in plenty. Its space and time that have run short.

      Delete
  5. Sadly, I agree that 12 is too many. At least my current storage situation makes having things in reserve supportable. Painting time is a different story entirely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finally started getting impatient with myself for so many unfinished plans. I want to start reaching more "complete to this target" statuses.

      Delete
  6. Small gains, added up, produce large ones.

    ReplyDelete