Sunday, June 7, 2020

I Had One Job To Do

One job, add at least two stands of gensdarmes, four mounted figures, to my 16thC French army over the course of the weekend.

How'd I do?


Well, during the initial review, I noticed that my English General had a three figure stand which made him easy to identify but the French and Imperial generals only had ordinary two figure stands. (The poor Scots general is stuck in the middle of a pike block as is traditional.) 

Now the Imperial army also has a three figure General's stand as does the French, except their's isn't painted yet. I'm afraid the poor Duke de St. Lambert is about to be demoted to cavalry commander after some 60 years in my service!  He does have a tendancy towards rash charges ala Gaston of Foix, and I rather need him as a gensdarme but the real issue was that I don't have a compatible foot figure to add to his stand but do have a new Doug Miller commander who is looking for employment and has influence at court.

On top of all that, I've had a good think about , and  review of, these armies and what I am planning to ask of them as well as the history behind them and their place in my collection. After all, this is my desert island or "if you could only keep one set of wargaming figures" collection and they have been sadly neglected of late. I've also spent some most enjoyable hours with head buried in the 16thC portion of my library and...OK.OK...I'm stalling. Here we are:
Yeah, doesn't look like much and I think a few plastic bits have gone missing over the weekend, but at least I now have a plan and the metal horses have been attached to their stands, ready for painting.

If this keeps up, I'm gonna need a bigger house or something else has to go, but not today.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely looking figures regardless, and tomorrow is another day (it's already today here of course..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Ross- be lovely to see them finished and in a battle. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any plans to add some Italian gunners? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for one explicitly English crew, most of my gunners are Universal European mercenaries, probably including Italians. After all their were Italian arquebusiers in the English garrison in Scotland and doubtless in the Imperial armies in France. Now that I have excess guns and crews to paint I intend to add an explicitly Scottish crew, another could be Italian.

      Delete
  4. There’s a lot to be said for the 16th century as a desert-island project. Of course, it might have been easier if I hadn’t chosen to do it in 40mm home cast figures.

    ReplyDelete