Monday, June 22, 2020

Gaming in the Great Outdoors Pt2

The first couple of turns were a bit hesitant as I strove to understand, then fix, the rules and get a feel for interpreting the terrain. Once I got down and close to the figures and the ground, and cleared away various tufts of grass clippings that had escaped the rake, suddenly various paths, hillocks and gullies became clear as the troops encountered them. I started checking lines of sight from ground level. Excitement increased.  

<<NOTE: Click on the photos to go to full size to see many of the figures in cover.
The Highlanders and Grenadiers deployed quickly and pressed forward under a heavy fire while B Battery opened up as soon as they had a line of fire to the enemy's powder smoke.

I had wondered if rolling dice was going to be an issue and so had initially reduced the use of dice as much as possible but between the tray I brought out for rolling, and a few level patches of sun hardened clay, it was a none issue so I reinstated my usual variable length moves. 
Bullets were soon whizzing around the gunners ears, but their accurate fire drove the enemy back. The infantry rose and advanced into the gully only to be hit by a storm of bullets from both flanks. Hurriedly they took cover and returned fire as best they could. It was time for the guns to move up to the crest of the gully and silence this enemy fire as well. 

I also tried, then removed, saving throws for cover etc, going back to a simple "to hit" die modifier, and reinstated an old fashioned, simple, morale roll for losses. Just right.

  
As the Dominion forces pressed forward they could see the enemy camp in the distance (see Red arrow). If they could get the guns across the gully and over the high ground, they'd be able to drop shells right into the camp. Moving forward was a problem though, a hail of bullets from hidden sharpshooters, drove the infantry to cover and the gunners back into dead ground. 

The subtleties of the terrain and the effect on them on the game rather surprised me in a pleasing fashion. Over the last decade I have been moving farther and farther towards abstract terrain. No doubt its partly a result of mostly playing small, quick games, often on a grid, using at least four different sizes of figures in multiple periods, and of being lazy. I'll have to give some more thought to the matter though. 

If you can't go through, go around!

I don't feel any desire to upsize and fight a multi-day battle on a huge battlefield (Especially not with a deer path running across it, even though its only used occasionally!)  or a desire to recreate the Wilderness with my little Airfix ACW guys but its possible that Prince Valiant might take a turn in between the occasional 54 mm game. 
On the left, the Royals and Highlanders drove back the Kree, yard by yard despite the cost. On the right, the Rifles used the dead ground to flank the enemy, routing a Kree band and driving the Hunters from their riflepits with cold steel.

The enemy had suffered heavy losses and been driven back but not routed. Dominion losses had also been heavy, and the sun was seeking low. Colonel Ross decided that a lesson had been taught and further bloodshed would be pointless. He ordered a return to camp.
 

24 comments:

  1. Apart from simply being interesting to look at, the mottled effect of the shade actually enhanced an impression of bush country, I thought. Are we looking at the beginning of a campaign, here? Methinks the Kree will be crowing about their victory in driving off the Red Jackets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, its been ongoing (sporadically) for a few years now.

      Delete
  2. This is a truly inspirational game. I would love to get a game going outside. Unfortunately, the dog wouldn't allow it in "his" yard. Your rules look like a great set to use with "toy soldiers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great game, inspiration to take a wee game outdoors provided the weather improves or my bases will soak up the damp and become untenable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great report and pictures Ross. I hope you recovered all the casualties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've done a few outdoor games with 54mm figures, and it is surprising quite how many undulations real ground has. But yes, you do need to get down fairly low to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky for me. There is a drop of about 6 feet over the 20 or so feet of the area I cleared, but in eye level photos, it doesn't show but the little hillocks and gullies do.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Ross, a game in the outdoors is a breath of fresh air to our games in more ways than one.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to my roots! I am ashamed to admit that I chose a place where I wasn't very visible from the road...

      Delete
    2. Do not be ashamed. The one and only time I played in the garden I set it up and felt too self conscious because the garden is overlooked. My wife Carol sensed this and played with me, she is a good woman. The old lady next door was leaning on the fence watching, she was greatly amused by the spectacle.
      Oh well.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ross- great to see you enjoying the great outdoors Ross- your 54s look super! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near and dear to my heart. Some of these have been my friends for more than half a century.

      Delete
  8. This is the correct terrain for 54 mm miniatures = the Garden Wars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, though the floor of a large room, especially in covered in cork flooring, ought to do.

      Delete
  9. Looks great Ross. I confess that I’d be worried that I’d leave some toys in the grass, at least that was my childhood experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Leave no man behind!" Not only was the ground well policed a couple of times, but roll call was held.

      Delete
  10. Hi Ross,
    Have you given any thought to playing Infamy, Infamy with ancients? Just wonderin'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Not for a minute. Not only have I sworn off ancients after 45 years but I don't "do" skirmish games except to be sociable when away. Beyond that, despite being widely acclaimed, none of the TFL games I've played or read about have appealed to me. Nothing wrong with them and I suspect I might have liked them 25+ years ago but the style has no appeal to my current tastes.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great Ross. Amazing that even red coats can be concealed in the 'jungle'—I hope that you were able to muster them all safely at the conclusion?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspiring stuff Ross! A Roll Call is an excellent idea, even in Valhalla. Glad no man was left behind to be RLS' The Dumb Soldier

    https://poundstoreplasticwarriors.wordpress.com/2019/11/29/lost-and-found-rls-the-dumb-soldier-2019/

    ReplyDelete