Thursday, July 22, 2021

Just Like Old Times.

Its raining today! Hooray!

Back around 1969/70,  before I became a Wargamer, inspired and informed by Henry Harris's book "Model Soldiers", I started converting and painting my old toy soldiers into display models and making little vignettes. So, it is always a pleasure to get back to chopping, gluing, puttying and generally individualizing figures. 

An officer with three more privates for the 2nd Origawn Infantry. These will deploy as skirmishers for the marching battalion when required.

These figures are all based on the same multipart Castings moulds (now sold by the Dunken company, a company well worth supporting.) The basic ACW body bears a remarkable resemblance to  the old line of Imrie Risley kits that I spent so much time dreaming about as I browsed the catalogue and occasionally managed to fund so I was hugely pleased when I was able to buy these in the late 90's. Other bits and pieces came mostly from two of the Castings Coldstream Guards spare arms moulds but the officer's head was an original homecast piece gifted to me by an e-friend from the old Little Wars email group years ago. 

Enough of that, the glue, putty and primer should be dry by now so...let the business of painting begin!

14 comments:

  1. Kitbashing is always fun. I'm guessing especially when there's no kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are kits but they are like the 20thC equivalent of a 3d printer program.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are to me. Can't figure what happened to my old catalog.

      Delete
  3. "Customizing" has become more important in my own wargaming [careening?] "career" as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off that way. Trying to not do didn't stick.

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures, l look forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can identify even though I started wargaming long after the 60s. I needed some Italian WW2 gunners for my Western Desert project and ‘created’ them from plastic and metal odds and sods (and Green Stuff putty). The result was not pretty but they pass muster and can assert that there is a lot of satisfaction in producing something unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking, individualistic figures ...

    ReplyDelete