Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Time To Stop Running

With the Rebel army pretty well organized, I turned my attention to the Dominion.

'A' company ready to go.

When I ordered my first Guard moulds from Castings over 20 years ago, I  was thinking "most versatile pose", so I got a Guardsman at the "Ready" who could be about to "Present! FIRE!" (OK by the book once the present was ordered the soldiers were supposed to lift their rifle, aim, and then fire without waiting for another order but ......). I  also bought the only officer mould, a running officer, sword in hand. Sighhhh. I did convert one standing Guardsman to an officer but also put up with a running officer with standing men.


I should have taken a 'before' picture. The v shaped cut was in the front, the straight slash in the back. When the leg was straightened this was reversed.

Today, I was sorting through the Faraway troops, making up 18 man battalions, when it occured to me, with Blum's manual  still in mind, that I  had learned how to handle this long ago but seem to have forgotten! So I hauled out razor saw, exacto  etc, made a V shaped notch on the front of the knee which had to be straightened, and made a thin cut in the back of the knee joint and then gently straightened the leg,  filled the gaps with putty then touched up the paint.

 


Not perfect, but it only  took a few minutes. I have this awful feeling  that I may find myself doing more of this stuff again.


17 comments:

  1. Not only does the journey start with the first step, it also ends with the last. And you often find yourself, willy-nilly taking all the steps in between. Life's like that sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever conversion and looks a lot better posed that way .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the stationary guys. The running officer leading the company of running guardsmen looks just right.

      Delete
  3. I do like the pointing officer in particular but all have come up splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a touch of or 2 but the other 3 were painted at the turn of the century (ie 20+ years ago).

      Delete
  4. What wonderful figures! And a very handy conversion too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, these cheeky fellows pushed my tricorne boys out of the way.

      Delete
  5. Now, your soldier has both feet firmly on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  6. >I have this awful feeling that I may find myself doing more of this stuff again.

    "Don' Worry, Be Happy!" These types of figgie mods are all the rage, Ross.
    I only began this sort of surgery 3 years ago, (starting with WWII German AFVs,) but I sorta' enjoy the break it affords from seemingly non-stop painting. (ugh!) B'sides the 'uniqueness' factor, blah blah. In Sep 2019 I even took a Gem Setting course at the local Calgary art school, AB Univ of the Arts [Joni Mitchell was a student there in the 1963-1964], which was sorta' worth the money(?). Worst case: it got me used to fiddling with files, drills, etc, tha's fo' sho'.

    (An' if you thought miniaturists were crazy mo'fo's with their tedious & painstaking kitbashing & paintjobs, well...we ain't got nuthin' on those jeweller folk. Inside a miniaturist's miniature world allllll their own.
    "PhewwwwwwwwIE!!")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try and avoid whatever is the current rage. I took some courses at Nascad early this century, drawing, sculpture and jewellery making. Learned a lot of stuff useful to sculpting and converting toy soldiers as well as confirming my suspicion that I shouldn't quit my day job till I was eligible for pension.

      Delete
    2. Well, I certainly believe you made the correct decision, Smedley. I came to your exact conclusion, myself!

      Delete
  7. Sterling work and men in "proper" uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look lovely Ross and a great conversion. Your walking fellow is a much better pose.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete