Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Looking Ahead

 Its a cold, damp, blustery day. Lots to do but.....not a bad day to put in an hour or two of hobby time.

Happy to be home again, the armies are preparing for their next game by having the bottoms of their bases painted in case they should fall over in public, and having their company number painted onto the back of their bases to aid sorting at conventions. (Next May in Portland oh Powers that be!

I am still set on reducing the number of collections and rules that I use to 8 so that I can dedicate more time playing with what I do have and play some more mini-campaigns.  I also want more free storage space and fewer distractions so sometime this winter there will be a call for brave volunteers to give new homes to old loved soldiers now retired and to 'recruit's who will never be activated, but that is for later.

Time now to think about a game for this cold, damp, blustery week. My 54's have been longest on the shelf of my remaining main collections, but I think its time for some armour, spears and bows. It just remains to pick a scenario and period. Will it be: 

These guys?

OR

or these guys?

Time will tell.



16 comments:

  1. 25mms get my vote.
    Are you anywhere near the flooding? It just said "Floods in Canada" on the TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little over 5,000 km away.(Its on the West Coast, I'm on the East. )

      Delete
  2. Is that eight rules and eight collections or does each collection have a one-to-one relationship to one ruleset?

    My vote goes for Medievals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its 8 sets of rules and 9 periods technically. I decide that the two 18thC singly based armies with the same organization can share one basic set of rules with each having some rules that won't apply (No heavy cavalry in the Canadian woods, no Indians in Flanders etc).

      2 votes for the 25's. Not looking good for the Prince...

      Delete
    2. >Its 8 sets of rules and 9 periods technically. (No heavy cavalry in the Canadian woods, no Indians in Flanders etc).

      I dunno, man. With me, it's more like;

      Nine swordsmen dueling,
      Eight knights a-jousting,
      Seven ships a-firing,
      Six dice a-tumbling,
      Five CO-Ollllllld Brewwwwwwwww!!!
      Fo-our char-i-ots,
      Three French guns,
      Two-oo AP shells,
      And a touris on a glen-ga-ar-ryyyyyyyy!!

      Delete
  3. >having the bottoms of their bases painted in case they should fall over in public--

    (.."WHAT?! In front of Everybody?!...")

    I believe the 30-odd year-olds focus on painting and the 'quality of the look' of the tabletop's panoply.
    Then, once they grow into their 50s and 60s, other priorities begin to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slackards! I blame it partly on glossy full colour ads but most on the internet.

      Yes I painted better and more often when I could still see clearly but the game was always the thing!

      Delete
    2. (And I happen to know a few Calgary gaming youth who could use a bit of that talkin'-to.)

      Delete
  4. "focus"?...focus...hmm... maybe I should look that up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear glasses work to help focus.

      Maybe filled with some amber fluids?

      Delete
    2. These days it would probably just help me sleep in my painting chair!

      Delete
  5. I totally vote for medievals!
    Signed, An Unfocused Wargamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm 5 votes! ...may have to do 25mm fantasy medieval first, Prince Valiant second.

      I like to think of myself as serially focused.

      Delete