Saturday, November 6, 2021

What do I want anyway?

In a comment on my last post, Johnathon of The Palouse Wargaming Journal suggested that I consider writing "an expanded discussion on your rules' analysis including what works, what doesn't work, what you want, what you don't want, and how your preferences have changed over time".  My first reaction was that it would be like wandering through a maze lit by strobe lights. After some thought, it seemed to me that I might benefit from it and there may be some others would would find it of interest or even of some use, like those cautionary fairy tales, while the rest can skip over it pretty quickly. More than  that, I might even find the exercise useful apart from the pleasure one sometimes gets from nostalgia. 

In 2010, this was the sort of thing I wanted. 
(See 31 January 2010 post.)
This solo game was played using 'Warhammer Ancient Battles'. The rules were OK if played with the right mind frame, and I had friends with 25mm armies who played them, then they released a new version. Amongst other things, they changed the number of ranks of infantry that could fight and suddenly my basing and unit organization was a liability. At the same time, we made our move away from the city and I found  myself playing mostly solo. I decided to write what became the first edition of Gathering of Hosts

Luckily for everyone, I don't have much, if any, documentation or pictures from the first 30 years so we don't need to wallow too much in the past.  The present didn't spring into existence fully armed though, so  I will at least touch on the early days in this post. My very first book on wargaming was Featherstones's Battles With Model Soldiers which did not contain a full set of rules but did talk about the advantages of writing your own and how to go about it. It included some suggestions about how to write a simple set and then customize them. So there I was, in high school in 1971, conscripting my childhood friend next door, getting down on the floor with airfix, dice and rulers and enjoying ourselves in a private setting using cobbled together WWII rules!  I was lost! (Last year he mailed me his sole unit of 25mm Napoleonic Prussians which had managed to play one game when I was home on leave from college. He turned to golf instead of wargaming. )

Cold Wars 2010: Scenario 3 from The Raid on St. Michel.  Featherstone's book may have been my first, but Charge! was my first complete set of rules, purchased with my first paycheque as a young Officer Cadet at the College Militaire Royal de St. Jean in 1972. Before I could build two 30mm armies, I was on to WRG Ancients with Airfix  so it was 1998 before I got to play a proper game of Charge!. I still play it happily when the opportunity offers and if I still had room for even my old 6'x8' table, I might well still use it for my Horse and Musket rules but with 40mm figures on a 5'x4' table, it is rather limited. (Mind you, I did consider using it for the French Revolution with reduced ranges and moves.) 

Anyway, I'll largely pass over my college days where I really got into things along with Simon MacDowall (Legio, Comitatus, etc),  so much learned in those days and so many good memories over the decades. I'll also largely pass by my  15mm days, partly because I don't have any pictures, but also perhaps to spare reminding The Single Handed Admiral of his days of being prime guinea pig in the ever changing series of rules that eventually ended up being published in Wargames Illustrated. They were the days when I began to get hooked on writing rules and running multiplayer and convention games though so I can't skip them entirely. 

There were some great games in those years, including a number of multiplayer games at Dalhousie where we ran various 15mm early Napoleonic games involving 6 or 8 players,  not counting us, and multi-national 15mm armies. One of my favourites was one where a player panicked when seeing chaps in the wrong colour unit coming over the bridge towards him and opened up with canister, only to find out that they were his allies in full retreat, while in another, an allied cavalry commander was ordered to move into a reserve position while the infantry in reserve launched an attack. He tried to move out of the way only to be ambushed by French light infantry in a wood so he moved forward out of range. This triggered a charge by some French cavalry who had been in dead ground. His brigade won the melee and had to pursue over the crest of a hill, finding the rest of the French. So it was that his honest attempts to allow the infantry to advance while he manoeuvred  into reserve, turned into an attack that disrupted the enemy plans.  Oops. 

One doesn't really need fake command rules and event cards when you have multiple players and hidden units! 

The "Why" intro from my article in Wargames Illustrated Issue 23 (1989)
This is the published version of the ever being tweaked rules we  used with our 15's.
Bad habits are strong!

Another of those games from the 80's, a refight of Austerlitz at another Dal game day, taught me that its entirely possible to be too clever as scenario designer. In order to recreate the allied command confusion and poor performance vs the small but veteran French army, we put all the most experienced players on the French side with the Admiral playing Napoleon, and all the inexperienced players on the other side. They were each given  a written order but there was no over all Commander to coordinate their efforts or react to events.  Great re-creation but the new players thought they'd been set up so we could make fun of them. Even worse, some walked away before the debrief. Those who did stay understood the idea but didn't appreciate it. Instead of having made 5 new recruits, I suspect most never played another historical mini game. Lesson learned, try to make sure that all players have a chance to have fun at these sorts of events, even if they are doomed as they man the walls of the Alamo. 

And that is at least enough for one post if not too much. The next time I take up this topic I'll talk about MacDuff and the effect on me as a few other people actually played it and how I tried to cope with the struggle between reacting to  changes in me while knowing that at least a few other people were playing the rules thus making me feel that I should avoid changing them, and on another unforeseen consequence.    


22 comments:

  1. Heck I enjoyed being your guinea pig! Those were some damn fine games. I still count the SYW game when you were defending but your French Cavalry hit my Prussians in March column as the best wargame I ever played.

    I didn’t recall the Austerlitz drama, but then again I was busy being Soult! But I often chuckle over the cavalry who triggered an ambush trying to keep out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that cavalry charge. I was very fond of that French army.

      Those were some good years and good games!

      Delete
  2. AN very enjoyable post! How in the world have I missed you article in that old issue of Wargames Illustrated all these years? I must dig it out forthwith and sit down to read. I too would be very interested in reading more about how you got to where you are now rules-wise.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  3. AN very enjoyable post! How in the world have I missed you article in that old issue of Wargames Illustrated all these years? I must dig it out forthwith and sit down to read. I too would be very interested in reading more about how you got to where you are now rules-wise.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Stokes, it wasn't much of an article, 30+ yrs ago, and you wouldn't have known me. Easy to miss.

      Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. Ross, thank you! I find your ruminations fascinating. Bits of your history trigger memories from my own long wargaming path reminding me of my own adventures in miniatures' gaming. I played MacDuff quite a bit in the late '90s both FIW and colonial. Ah, those were enjoyable days. Looking forward to your next installment when you take up the topic of MacDuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall any Austerlitz mulligan. (However, I *do* remember a 25mm 1790s "Waterloo What-if" at the Dalhousie SUB with a pretty cool storyline.) I can probably be labeled among one of your "converts", but another hurdle one has to clear is then ensuring to chain those types to a local stake so they don't someday hare off towards parts unknown like The Keep On The Borderlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'What if Waterloo' 1794 game did happen, it was based on reading something about Wellesley noting the battle field at that time during the great retreat at which time he was Colonel of his regiment.

      But, they were definitely 15's. Of course you were younger at the time and used to playing 6mm Nappy Battles so the 15's might have looked like 25's. :)

      Delete
    2. I got rid of all those 5/6mm Irregular Nappies...and no one can prove I ever (a) painted 'em up or (b) gamed with 'em(!).

      Delete
  6. If I may comment on what I liked about those rules.
    - simple, easy to master mechanics
    - we put decent sized armies on table, and had time to deploy and manoeuvre before coming to blows
    - the card movement system gave real suspense amd ebb and flow
    - fun balanced scenarios
    Good comradeship and good sportsmanship
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome to comment, it helps present a more rounded view of subjects. Oddly those were the sorts of things I was aiming at but kept getting caught in the traps of "not leaving well enough alone" (which I still suffer from ).

      I was fortunate to have your feedback at the time.

      Delete
  7. I find the evolution of peoples wargaming fascinating , very interesting post .

    ReplyDelete
  8. An intriguing story - fascinating seeing the overlaps and divergences from my own. I came to CHARGE much later and luckily still have a table just about big enough for SSMs. If you’re using 15mm vice 40mm the obvious adjustment is to use centimetres for inches and ignore the whining sound that will be the Brig spinning in his grave.
    I know you mainly game solo now but for a while I have been running unbalanced games (scenarios or player numbers) as what I call ‘chit’ games. Players take their turns in sequence but dice or draw a chit to see what they are commanding each turn. This way everyone gets a chance to experience fighting with or against the odds. Each player has also drawn a secret identity as one of the commanders in the scenario and after the game the various VPs are totted up - VPs are also awarded/deducted if a player’s secret identity is guessed correctly. These games have so far always been great fun and bizarrely produced some of the most convincing battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 15's are long gone, as are most of my 25s. There is only so much time and space and things do pile up over the decades. I don't know about the Brigadier, after all his son plays with 15s as well as 28s, but I have a feeling Col Lawford would approve. However a few years ago a few of us happened to be together an impromptu game of Charge broke out using 12mm troops and cm. Worked like a charm.

      Interesting twist on routine that you've been trying. You can't really judge these sorts of ideas until you've tried them and I can think of a few of my friends who would find it an interesting challenge. My biggest pleasure is in devising a plan and trying to implement it in the face of opposition so I'm afraid I'd be a somewhat reluctant conscript but one can't really judge these things until they've been tried nor can one grow without experiencing new things,

      Delete
  9. Sadly, I have no photos of my wargaming heyday - I do sometimes think about the battles lost to history in the days before digital cameras, but that's how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a handful of faded, blurry prints from games going back to the 70's but only a handful.

      Delete
  10. Dear Ross;
    That was very interesting. I'm always fascinated by the stories of others and how, once they joined the hobby, went through the different paths to where they are today. For me, I was the lone voice crying out "ACW" with a group that loved playing Napoleonics with "Empire III". It took a game of 15mm Franco-Prussians with "They Died For Glory" at a local show (HAVOC) to bring me back into the hobby. I've been wandering about ever since. And can't really say I've regretted it. Looking forward to your next post.

    Regards;
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been there. Its one of the reason that over the years, I have painted so many stray units for periods I wasn't keen on...

      Delete
  11. It’s nice to see a Charge! game in the retrospective. We’ve played enough of them over the years, now, although it’s been several since we ran one in person. Possibly Huzzah! in 2015? But MacDuff is where I came into your story (or vice versa), so I’ll be interested to see the next entry.

    ReplyDelete