Monday, January 10, 2022

And Now For Something

 Almost completely different:

A botched up, impromptu, stop action, 3 part video battle report, my first ever. Obviously a bit of planning and preparation, a script, and mastery of the software and hardware tools would all have been of benefit. 


This morning Rob from the Sharp End of the Brush blog and I, played a test game using discord. There is no proper battle report but it went reasonably well for a first go, 

However, for various technical reasons, I have no pictures to share, hence the improvised experiment with about 30 seconds of planning and preparation, not even something as basic as writing a script.  I also had some technical glitches like hitting stop instead of pause or not hitting the pause properly, thus exposing the hand of the Friendly Giant at work. Dispite the technical glitches, I did not have a precise record of specific unit's actions but over all it reflects what happened in this game that was up in the air right up until the last turn.  


Due to those stops I ended up  with 3 videos and no software that I could find on phone or chromebook that would let me splice and edit the videos. 

   


To be honest they weren't really worth editing but it was kinda fun and I might be tempted to do a properly prepared one with a script after having the right tools on hand and a better idea of how to use them.

21 comments:

  1. That - or those - were really engaging watches, Ross. Great - especially for a first time effort! One suggestion, if I may: perhaps in between the voiceovers, some sort of martial music and/or battle sounds (stock footage) - not too loud - might add 'atmosphere' to the sound track. Depending on whether you wanted to take it that far, you could use photos of the actual game as a 'story board', then re-enact the thing as a stop-motion animation.

    However far (or not far) you want to take this sort of project, I'll be fascinated to see more of this sort of thing!

    (If you haven't seen it before, check out Army Men - Plastic Apocalypse (Michael Akkerman)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClffzUrRDXk )
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion, I don't intend to take it very far, this was completely impromptu I was actually setting up to take some fake live action photos when I got this sudden impulse.

      I was going to add some back ground music but had my hands full already.

      If I can find some free software that will run on my Chromebook and allow me to edit the clips. I'm tempted to play some more with this but o/w it'll be very short clips at long intervals best and then only when I have excess idle time, which I do have now and then. The more I cut back on "periods" or "projects" the more time I should have.

      Delete
  2. Great work Ross, l really enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might want to reach out to the Little Wars gang. I know they're trying to promote more content production, and would likely have tips on accessible editing, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind but I not having any actual computers and not being too "into" it yet, I think I'll see what I can learn about using what relevant free software for my Chromebook is available first since this is a $0,00 budget impulse.

      Delete
  4. Great attempt at videoing , something I've not dared attempt yet .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a couple of short video clips, but this was my first go at stopmotion, totally unplanned impulse.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the arrow special sound effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it worked when I ws 6, why not at 66? (I did feel a bit foolish though.)

      Delete
  6. Well, I know I certainly enjoyed that. And I agree with Jonathan. I liked the arrow sound effects.

    "Wheesh Wheesh Wheesh!"

    I think you should have another go.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most enjoyable to watch and see the game unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Ross TV" ... with wrap around "Arrowsound". Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I always toyed [threatened] with doing this, myself. Any progress = good progress at the outset and you're bound to only get better. "Lead on, MacDuff...."

    P.S.
    when can we expect a regular YouTube channel?

    ReplyDelete
  10. To quote Ian and Sylvia "When little fishes fly and the seas they do run dry"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! I've thought about trying similar but have not had the patience to attempt it. Count me among the fans of the arrow sounds! I make sound effects whenever I play a game. I think it adds exponential joy to the proceedings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I don't make sounds when playing but since I was having trouble trying to lib a script and wasn't sure if I had the gear to add a soundtrack later, I just went with it to indicate something was going on! Next time I'll play something with muskets so I can use cotton balls when they shoot! :)

      Delete
  12. Like others, I've thought about the possibilities of stop action--very instructive to see how you've done it. The fact that it's impromptu is a plus since it "shows the work"--and how to do sound effects (put me down as a fan of the arrow sounds).

    ReplyDelete