Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow.....

 "Creeps in this petty pace"  and so on....now.... Exit MacBeth and back to the ACW.

The Infantry engage.

By now, its obvious that this is never going to suddenly turn back into the quick afternoon game that I had intended, its going to be played out several turns a day for a week. This makes writing up a battle report a little hard and I may need to play another game when its done, just to scratch that itch. (Its a hard life.)

Apart from hours of shovelling snow and chipping ice and so on,  some other domestic duties are eating my time. Still, if I'd had my revised off grid ACW rules buffed up and ready to go, I might have been finished by now. These poor blighters were the first to go onto the hex grid and now they are the last to come off it and I've had to figure out what sort of approach I wanted to take to get as many figures on the table  and still be able to play in a reasonable amount of time while still being able to play some satisfying small actions with the same rules. 

The 2nd Confederate Division arrives on the field.

I'll leave all that for after the game, but I'm 1/3rd of the way through with a good chance of finishing up tomorrow if all goes well. If I'm as happy with them after the game as I am at the moment, I'll share them and write a post about the whats and whys, then reset the table and play another ACW game, hopefully all in one go!

22 comments:

  1. A different pace can be a good refresh and bring some memorable games. The table does look good with so many figures, though I know in my longer games, a certain exhaustion kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me to handle a table full, the rules need to be very quick and easy so that the focus is on the general and his plan, but still find a way for the combat between units to have some flavour beyond a die roll. No wonder its taking so long to work out.

      Delete
  2. Loving all the classic Airfix figures , I wonder how many million of them they made ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I'm rather happy that the Airfix majority are supported by at least 6 other plastic brands and 3 metal brands.

      Delete
  3. For some reason ACW seems to be the 'in' thing in blogs at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at that battlefield reminds me... I MUST get back to that 'Stonewall in the Valley' campaign that got suspended nearly 5 years ago... Sometimes it is a mistake to pause a campaign. Makes it very hard to return to it to finish the thing off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been threatening that very thing myself, for ~5 years now.

      Delete
    2. I tend to assume that a campaign paused that long means that outside factors meant a drain on resources that caused the campaign to fizzle out and go into standoff mode or a withdrawal by 1 side. A bit like the multiple attempts to attack Vicksburg.

      Delete
  5. This game is developing and building beautifully. A fine and fitting tribute to your friend John.
    (Can't beat the one true scale for visual impact, neither!)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These armies remind me of my 15mm F&F armies from 25? yrs ago. Back when my eyes were sharper!

      Delete
  6. Hey, longer game equals more eye candy posts for us. I'm good with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Ross, just "rally around the flag", and keep plugging.

    See what I did there...

    Still looks like you've got a good game going. Don't work the shovel and chipper engine too hard. After a certain age, that impedes dice rolling and soldier pushing.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the translucent green dice. Much more photogenic than, say, opaque, white dice.

    The Confed'rits with their back against the Lil'Phoam River. tsk! Could be trouble a-brewin' if things start flling into place for the Bluebellies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to find some translucent blue ones and grey ones so when one wanders away from its unit I could at least be sure which army misplaced it.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That chipboard table looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I for one am not going to get bored seeing more pictures of your ACW collection…
    I really like the Union firing line made up of kneeling and standing figures… I am tempted to hunt some down on eBay.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every 20mm ACW army needs at least a few....

    ReplyDelete