Monday, May 16, 2022

Its A Jungle Out There

Saturday being a glorious day with no obligations, I couldn't resist giving some of the lads an outing in the sun. By sheer intention I had mowed the bit of side yard slope that I used for two games last Spring the day before so it was just a matter of picking the lucky lads who would get out. So far I've stuck to 54's outside but the 40's aren't that much smaller and I had just the right bunch ready to go.

Belmont Island, West Indies, (don't bother checking your maps) sometime in the 1790's. Hired Jaegers scouting ahead of a British column, spy on a supposedly secret French base. 

Over the winter I've had time to think about where my French Rev. forces are headed and decided that I had slid into the rut of "battles" without noticing it, whereas the original plan had been more of a skirmish/semiskirmish (depending on one's definition of skirmish) game. So. it's been "Heigh-ho and back we go". The standard unit is once again an 8 man company but I don't have the patience for card activation by unit or any fussy stuff, so the original "With MacDuff to the Frontier" was out but there was no need to invent anything new so I just scribbled down some quick basic rules and started thinking about a quick and easy outdoor scenario.  Having taken a closer look at the mown battle area, and thought about the available troops, I decided on a British column sent to capture a French base that has been built in the jungle to support a new army of freed slaves.

As the column approached the French base, the troops begin to deploy off the 'road',  into the undergrowth, and creep closer. 


The French sentries were alert and opened fire before the deployment was complete but the attack pressed forward while French troops were soon spilling out of their barracks and forming up. The battle was on!  

An assault by the De Brouille Regiment was thrown back but the Black Watch was at hand. 



The Riflemen had proved most useful in weakening the French fire line despite their breastwork while the assaults by the emigre's had resulted in heavy casualties on either side. The first assault by the Highlanders had been held, just, but  the second go went over the wall and the French morale collapsed. The York Hussars were set loose to round up or disperse the remaining French.

For the curious, here's the "Back of a Postcard" rules I scribbled down. All measurements were done with one of my sticks with coloured bands. I think the one I grabbed had 60mm bands but they might have been 2" or 3", doesn't really matter. 

Ross's new Back of a Postcard version of A Whiff of Dice

Initiative & Game length: Draw 15 cards, turn 1 over at the start of each turn when the last card is played the game is over. Red: British go 1st, Black: French go 1st, Joker=The turn is over, draw next card. 

Sequence: 1st player units move or shoot, both sides resolve melee then 2nd player does the same. If one side loses its general, the player with a general decides who goes first each turn regardless of colour.

Move: Deployed Infantry: 2 lengths, Skirmishers or Infantry in Column: 3 lengths, Cavalry: 4 lengths. 

Terrain: Infantry lose 1 length to move through jungle or cross an obstacle. Cavalry and artillery may not move through jungle, cost 2 lengths to cross obstacle. Road negates terrain for column. 

Shooting: Muskets: Range 2 lengths 1d@2 figures, 5,6 hits.  Artillery: Canister: Range 3 3d@gun. 5,6 hits. Shot: Range 6 2d@gun  4,5,6 hits.  +1 if Rifles or Canister, -1 if difficult target (enemy in cover, skirmishers, or cavalry)

Melee: Infantry: 1d@2, Rifles 1d@3, Cavalry 1d each; 4,5,6 hits,  -1 vs cover. Side taking most hits retreats full move.

Commander: Once per turn may join unit which takes a hit and roll 1d. 5,6=hit cancelled or if in melee 1 may be inflicted on enemy, 2,3,4 no effect, 1 Commander is wounded and removed. (See initiative)

Morale: Unit losing over 1/2 figures retreats. (pick 'em up) 'Army' losing over 1/2 units concedes game unless overruled by scenario. 

23 comments:

  1. May have to give these a go ! , my style of rules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, the Melee rules state: Cavalry 1d@... but the number seems to be missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, old fashioned ways. @ used to be short for "each" as well as "at". So the cavalry line read out loud would be " cavalry 1d each" . But I see where you are coming from so I'll update it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Ross! I did wonder if that was what you meant, but wasn't sure.

      Delete
  3. Outdoor games always remind me of playing with "army men" as a kid, although these armies are far nicer than anything I ever had. Wonderful looking game and I hope all of the troops were accounted for afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom would only buy proper, painted, toy soldiers, like her father had, and they fought outside so it seems only natural to me!

      Thanks for the reminder! Last night when I finally put them back on the shelf, I noticed that the Emigre officer was missing his head and I made a mental note to look for it today, but forgot!! Just nipped out and found his head, relatively far from where I last saw him with it on, but then I found a French private hiding behind some foliage right next to the head, so maybe there's a story there. Anyway all now present and complete! Wargames can be horrible!!

      Delete
  4. Amazing weather there in the Belmont Islands for this time of year... Wonderful game, Ross. As always, a real treat to read.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to do something similar...some many pans so little time.

    Very inspirational Ross, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped playing outside when I became a teen and waited untill I was retired to a secluded place in the country. :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic to get the lads out in the GARDEN WARS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely the best kind of gardening Ross…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pics Ross, really enjoyed looking at these. I like the rules too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something fun about outdoor battles. Takes me back to my first childhood - dug a trench system in the garden, set up soldiers each side then chucked clods of earth at them to simulate artillery! Not quite in the same league as yours, but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember digging in an aluminum pie plate so I could fill it with water for amphibious operations for my Airfix and Giant lads.

      Delete
  10. Some lovely shots there, Ross. I spent the morning digging out a new garden patch, and the afternoon recovering ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great game,rules and weather- win,win and win.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete