Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Recycle, Reuse, Again!

This is just one of those weeks when I can't seem to get charged up to work or to game so, I decided to paint. I love these Scuby ACW cavalry, and especially so when they formed my 2 Dragoon units for the Aroostock War Whatif game which appeared at Huzzah 2012.  

A shot from my blog battle report of a test game of my 2012 Huzzah! convention scenario.
In the foreground are the stars of this post in their 1840's glory days.

And a shot of the redesigned game as played from my Huzzah 2012 blog post.
 (Blue Dragoons being off camera somewhere)

Another view of the Huzzah game, stolen from Normans's Junkyard Planet blog which also has some pics of our joint Ango-French 16thC game.
(and yes that hermit with the involuntary tonsure is me.)

However, all things must end and the what-if Arroostock and Oregon Wars faded away and the Dragoons kept trying to keep up with the times as the games slipped into the 1870's and then to 1914. I was contemplating reviving their 1840's look but while they mulled around the back of my desk, it suddenly occured to me that with a headswap to a Tarleton helmet, and a repaint, they were perfect for the French Revolution. Out came razor saw, drill, glue and paints......

Scruby ACW cavalry in their 3rd role (apart from the trumpeter who is a new Merten plastic recruit). 

A squadron of the 11th Light Dragoons should be ready for Flanders in 1793-5  by the weekend. 

9 comments:

  1. Summer re-runs? Your lt.dragoons in tarleton will be perfect for Flanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the programming goes to pot in the summer.

      Does feel a bit odd to be recruiting veterans of the US cavalry to serve in the British cavalry, the opposite was more common....

      Delete
  2. Ah, "involuntary tonsure" - I kind of like that description; unfortunately, I'm there, too.
    I remember your R boats from other posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine used to say that it was a sign that his brain was too busy fir hair to grow on it.

      Delete
  3. Good looking figures , I do like seeing old gaming photos of yore .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Tony on both counts.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. >Out came razor saw, drill, glue and paints.....

    ...It was at this precise moment that the easy-going, jaunty, carefree airiness of the horsemen's swagger came to an abrupt & sudden halt.

    >A squadron of the 11th Light Dragoons should be ready for Flanders in 1793-5 by the weekend.

    "Excellent show!" This reminds me that I defin'ly must get back to the Fr Rev, myself, which has been sadly neglected by me these, lo, 5+ years now(!).
    Tabletop photos look great, btw.

    "Vive les Ceramcoats!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That drop-cloth has seen a lot of service as a table-cloth since its debut that year.

      Delete
  5. "out came the razorsaw..." "Off with their heads" - it seems such an appropriate conversion...

    ReplyDelete