Thursday, March 2, 2023

Recycle, Reuniform

Late last century......when I found the HAWKS running a "Not Quite The SYW" Charge! game at Cold Wars...'98?... using homecast Prince August and Meisterzinn figures, I was hooked! I bought my copy of Charge! in 1972 but had only played a few small 30mm skirmishes before getting sucked into WRG Ancients.

When I got home from that Cold Wars, I ordered 1 infantry and 1 cavalry mould, converted command figures where necessary with such a thin recruiting pool, and brought them down to join in the next time I went to Cold Wars (Y2K iir).  Well, the years have rolled on and my SYW troops haven't been making it to the table very often. As far as I can tell, my Orleans Cavalry last saw the table in 2019 and before that, well, its lost in the mists of time.

While browsing my Funcken Lace Wars, looking for something else, I noticed that the early 90's  French cavalry could be made from the PA charging cavalryman if I swapped their tricorne heads for my bicorne heads. That thought soon grew into: "If I did a head swap on my Orleans cavalry and repainted just the coats and belts, they'd work fine. My oldest cavalry regiment would see more action and I wouldn't have to wait until spring before casting more cavalry to add to the over crowded shelves and storage boxes.

" Gentlemen, I need a volunteer...."

Incidentaly, if anyone is wondering why the posts have suddenly slowed down its partly household winter duties and partly a trip to the dentist which resulted in an immediate, unexpected, extraction of 2 teeth. Ouchhh!  A week later its still sore enough to be distracting and demotivating but there are signs of healing so a test of yet another go at a the rules is imminent!   

7 comments:

  1. Fine conversions. Best wishes on the dental recovery front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Last century" !, so true but so ancient !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise on the teeth! Have to admit I slow down in winter. Now we're into March, things might 'improve'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have more hobby time and energy in winter but this year has been the opposite.

      Delete
  4. I got hooked on home casting after seeing a game of 'Charge' back in 2006, and have been hooked since.
    I hope the mouth heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your healing OK Ross- good to see you thinking and working on SYW.

    ReplyDelete