Sunday, June 11, 2023

A Little Canard

Life is returning to normal. For the first time since early March, I have played a game for the pleasure of it, rather than as preparation for running my 2 games at Huzzah!. More than that, the game was once again in my own comfy, (sighhh, I hate this next word but......) "Imagination" setting of Atlantica. 

The first shots have been fired as the armies press forward, eager for the fray.

The scenario was a minor adaption of a War of 1812 scenario based on the first action in the War of 1812 which took place along the Canard River. It was published as "From Battle To Battlegame" in Issue 5 of Battlegames Magazine. 

***Update, apparently issues of Battlegames are now available from https://payhip.com/b/7wO1

Don't know anything about payhip so you're on your own there.

I was going to point interested readers to The Wargames Vault which is the official source for pdf versions of Battlegames, but I see that that issue is sold out 'unavailable'. (No I don't think it was my article on designing scenarios that drew the crowds, Jim Purky's magnificent Sudan pictures in his article on Colonial wargaming in the Peter Gilder style is a more likely draw.) In essence, it is the start of a campaign (a war really) and Blue has launched a surprise attack to capture a bridge over a marshy stream in the woods so that an invasion can begin. (See Duck River Crossing in the Newport News for an 1870's 54mm version of the scenario.)


The Oberhilse forces seem stalled as Faraway's troops rush forward and begin to press their enemy.

The scenario was designed as a low level action with companies as units. (At the time I wrote it, I was still using MacDuff To The Frontier for my 1812 games.) The forces I had at hand had been designed to be able to used either as multi-stand 'battalions' for battles, or single stand 'companies' for small actions, but while both the rules and the scenario, and my troops were all  designed to handle either, I was in the mood to see the refurbished battalions take the field.


With a loud "Huzzah" the redcoats rush forward then hesitated and began firing. (sigh..) The Light Dragoons charged gallantly forward but ran into a field of gopher holes (their story) and rolling six dice for 4 or better, scored 2 hits. (2 !? Seriously?) They needed to inflict more hits AND 1 hit per enemy stand to win a melee, so they rallied back for another try. The Royal Fusiliers had their bayonets on by then though and finished the job on the next turn

During the games down at Huzzah!, I noticed that the play sequence which I thought would be simpler and more straight forward, was actually confusing since it went against ingrained instincts and habits. So I have changed back to what this game confirmed as a simpler, more instinctive, more effective and possible more dramatic sequence. It is now a traditional sequence (ie I first encountered it in Featherstone's Battle with Model Soldiers.) in which the player with initiative moves first then the other player moves, then both shoot, then both resolve charges. Worked like a charm and was faster to boot

The Queen's Light Dragoons, seeing the enemy dragoons about to charge the two companies of the Brooklyn Fusiliers, ambled slowly forward for a better view....(sighhh) General Wavey waved his hat as is his wont, and charged forward at the head of the Red Dragoons. The tired Fusiliers, short on ammo after a lengthy firefight (that's what the survivors told me anyway), fired high then ran, being cut down by the pursuing dragoons (6 dice for 5's plus giving 4 or 5 hits on the already worn unit.....OUCH! The pursuit scattered the remainder.) The Faraway Trading Company Inspector who was acting 2ic, foolishly tried to intervene and was captured....
So, on turn 14, I was predicting a Faraway victory, but had to adjust that to an indecisive draw with both armies rather battered and incapable of further offensive action. 

Once my table is cleaned off and dressed up, ready for a brawl, I'm always reluctant to pack it up after just one game. so its away with the musket and bayonet and in with ........the bow and the sword and the plastic fists of the raiders.

Sighhhh, how did I come to this....

 

14 comments:

  1. Great little action , I'm constantly finding my little tin men confound my tactical genius !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross Mac,

    Thanks for sharing you latest battle report. It has helped me formulate a few ideas of my own with regard to my potential 1815-1850 project.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Bob, ideas are best shared, whether that leads to faults being pointed out, or to sparking an idea for someone else.

      Delete
  3. Looks and sounds like some fun gaming.

    (I have to wonder, though, how does one sell out of pdfs? ha ha) I'm probably just missing something. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, ummh, sorry about that, my words not theirs, the site actually says 'unavailable'. No idea if that is a damaged file, copyright issue or something else.

      Delete
    2. Looks like sales have moved to Henry's site:https://payhip.com/b/7wO1 You can continue to download from WGV if you've bought them in the past, but new sales at at "Payhip".

      Delete
    3. There we are, didn't know/remember that.. Still have my original copies so no need for virtual ones.

      Delete
  4. Always nice to get back on 'familiar' ground... likewise, 1 terrain 2 games makes sense! Also wondering how anyone can run out of pdfs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careless wording on my part. The sure says 'Unavailable' with no explanation.

      Delete
    2. Damn you autocorrect..."the site". I'm going to stop typing now!

      Delete
  5. Great-looking little action Ross, I always like the overall look of your setups. Nice to get back to 'normal service' indeed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yah, the lead up to Huzzah had been a bit more intense than usual, partly due to it being my first appearance since COVID hit, and partly because I was going solo for the first time in years since Rob, my usual co host, wasn't available.

      Delete
  6. A nice looking game Ross…
    It’s good to see that the fickle dice gods are having fun as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete