Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy 2024!

And so it has begun, 2024, who knows what it will bring?  Still, best to start with some sort of plan.

1st test casting from the new Prince August 40mm SYW mould.

Last summer I decided it was time to go back to posting plans for the year ahead at the start of the calendar year instead of doing so on the anniversary of my 2010 heart attack, so, here we are!

See here for details: My current collections and plans.   (link fixed)

The Fight for Acadia Begins

In years gone by, I've collected and wargamed multiple "periods" using various sizes, mostly from 6mm to 54mm, too often doing favoured "periods" in multiple sizes, often depending on what friends were doing, partly because I'm interested in many (MANY) things, partly to help get a group project on the table sooner, partly because I want to paint "some of this and some of that" , and...because I preferred to play with figures I had painted. 

All of that has been very enjoyable but these days, 90% of my gaming is solo, and the rest mostly with the host's figures. More than that, over the last 50+ years, everything that I have been interested in, has been at least sampled, as have many other periods and scales which were tried as part of a group interest, and countless sets of rules, published or homemade. 

All of that has been fun but my efforts to do anything more than dabble in very short mini-campaigns or narrative campaigns, (Essentially playing a game then making up how that links to the next game.) have all failed to get very far. It's also led to too much time writing and adjusting too many sets of rules, often in the middle of a game. Then there is the backlog of unpainted soldiers........

Well, this past fall, I sat down and decided on what I really wanted to focus on, and was practical over say the next 20 years or so. (He wrote optimistically since that'll put me approaching 90.) I'm not being too brutal though, my remaining collections will still cover 1/72, OS 25mm,  40mm and 54mm from the dark ages to pre WWI. 

However, I need more storage/display space, more storage space and fewer distractions. That means yet another round of finding new homes for many of both old and new, toy soldiers. I know that some find that thought disturbing but of the many who have been reposted in the past, memories remain but none have been mourned. Better to march on someone else's table or be on parade on their shelf, than to wait endlessly in a box at the back of some closet.

It'll take a while to get organized but I'll list things here for a while before I start listing them on eBay or tipping them into the melting pot to be 'reassigned'. 

The last action of 2022.
I think its time to give them the first action of 2024!

Now, on to that first battle of the year!


8 comments:

  1. Always a mixed bag to divest collections, but my experience has been, as you suggest, that once the figs have moved on, the sense is validation rather than regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my third or fourth reduction in the last 20 years but since I got hooked on home casting, I know that I can quickly replace armies at no cost if I miss them. Haven't had the urge though.

      Delete
  2. Not the Melting Pot of DOOM! I'm getting ready to do something similar. Too many ideas, not enough sanity.

    But no melting pots. I'll sell first and gift if that doesn't work.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Wishes for the New Year Ross. You post certainly strikes chord and I am seeing similar sentiments on several blogs. I think 2024 will be an interesting and positive year for us wargamers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to the next year , I to feel the need to concentrate my efforts - but I'm such a wargaming butterfly !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, and best of luck achieving what you want to get done. I know that it is easy and tempting to get stuck in tinkering mode, to the detriment of the bigger projects.
    One small thing - the link in the post to 'Collections' didn't work for me, although the one in the right-hand sidebar did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new Year Ross. Do think of me if you ever decide to move on your tasty French Revolution collection.... Greg

    ReplyDelete