Click on pictures for larger size. Depending on your machine, you can use your figures to enlarge or shrink the picture, or there may be a '+' on the picture which will expand again and allow you to slide the large picture to see all of it. Click on the header arrow pointing left to go back to the regular screen.

Thursday, April 24, 2025

Once More Unto The Bases

 Yup. 


These veterans have been on various bases from individual washers to various multi-figure bases, often more than once. Having shaken the 60mm wide base habit, this arrangement of four 40mm infantry on a 2" sq. base worked well in the last game, gives a better impression  of a long thin line, and lets me deploy 1/2 of a battalion or even a single stand. 

Its going to be a busy weekend, 

8 comments:

  1. Visually speaking, I think you are on to something here..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheaper and easier than buying and painting new ones. :)

      Delete
  3. Long thin lines are, visually speaking, key to the "look of the thing." Speaking of which, Ross, how in the past did you remove figures from bases? I have a lovely unit of Holger Eriksson cavalry (purchased eight or nine years ago) that I have never been able to remove from old bases. Even after soaking them in hot water. I think LocTite or some similar epoxy was used. It won't budge. Given the delicate nature of the figures, I haven't attempted to remove them more forcefully. Any suggestions?

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you.

      I agree on the lines, I used to do it by fielding Brigades of several 15and then scrape off the glue until I was able to POP! the up by working a knife blade inbetween glue and metal. mm battalions on a table with double the sq footage. The 40s are a bit bigger and my table smaller so I tried to scrunch them up to a proper shoulder to shoulder but had no room to increase the battalion width. Just didn't look right.

      Loosening epoxy without damaging figures is tricky (as experience has taught ). I presume the bases are a hard wood? I'd be leery of chemicals doing damage. In the past I have taken a sharp hobby knife or razor saw, I try to whittle the wood bases until I could work a sturdy knife or thin screwdriver under the figure's base and POP! the figures off.

      It's a tricky business though and too much enthusiasm can result in a damaged figure, hopefully fixable but....
      It's a bit like cavalry charging an entrenched battery...

      Delete
    2. If it is superglue then you could try popping a base in the freezer. Low temperatures make superglue brittle so you may be able to pop them of the base. This doesn't work with expoxy and I can't think of anything that you could do that won't ruin the figures if it is epoxy.

      Delete