Friday, January 8, 2010

The Die is Cast

OK, The poll is ended, thank you to all who took the time and trouble to vote. I have had time to ponder the votes, what I want to do in the year ahead, what I am likely to be able to do, and what my existing commitments are. I did say that I would not be bound by the poll but would consider it and I think by following my own leaning, I can go someway towards presenting something for everyone. (For future reference the final result was: 37% An Ancient Persian Campaign, 31% A variety, 31% An early 19thC Toy Soldier Campaign, 0% none of the above) Time and other commitments, both hobby and other, will be an issue this winter so I shall start with some one off games that will require either minimum of preparation or where the preparation helps meet an existing commitment. Once the grass starts to green up in May and can support grazing horses, King Rosius will launch an invasion of Lydia. After that is resolved, there will be a short interlude while the militia gathers in the harvest, then I shall return to the Oberhilse & Faraway for a fall campaign.    Any non-campaign battle might draw on any part of my collection that appeals to me and seems suitable.

One early decision was that I do not wish to be as constrained as last year when I resolved to play the scenarios in order. This year I shall pick and choose to suit whim and situation. To date, there are 20 Tabletop Teasers (including the special) and more coming. There are also other non TTT scenarios (4 in the first issue alone!) so no shortage of material to choose from. However, it seems somehow appropriate to start at the very beginning, so flipping open Issue One, the first scenario to be presented is Harry Pearson's Marathon. It is there that I will begin.


   PACK UP AND HIDE THE TREASURE! THERE'S WAR BREWING!

4 comments:

  1. Anyone interested in some of Harry's other battles, there are pictures of Plataea and Granicus on the Garrison gallery. Haven't got any pictures of Marathon though.

    One I must get round to redoing myself is Cunaxa (or Kounaxa) - subject of my own last published series of articles. The 'time flies' idea comes into play - I've just looked them up and it was in 1997. Aaaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats only 3 years.....and 1 decade :) Cunaxa was my starting point when I converted my Persians to historicals but I never got there. Looking beyond Cunaxa, I've just been weighing the warchest (a feather in the opposite balance) and will be sending in a small order for Phrygians that'll be needed for the spring campaign.
    -Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 20 Black Tree Persian Royal Guard lined up that I'll soon have to start to paint. Just another DBA army on the side, but never to DBA scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can never have too many Persians Rob. A double DBA army perhaps? But if they roll down, please remember they didn't decimate, I'd hate to see the little melting pot come out again!
    -Ross

    ReplyDelete