Tuesday, October 30, 2018

20 Years and 6 months ago

I recently came across a scanned image of this old photo from Cold Wars 1998.

In 1997 I made my first trip down to HMGS' Cold Wars in Lancaster PA. I made the trip primarily to meet up with and play games with Arty and other members of Armati email group but also to bring some 54mm Napoleonic figures to add to Pete Panzeri's  54mm La Haye Sainte wargame. That event led to a discussion about having a 54mm themed room for Cold Wars 1998.

This was my 54mm War of 1812 'inspired by Sittingbad' game. I dragged Ron down to Cold Wars with me that year and as often happens some of our old Montreal gang were there.
(l to r) Ron Porter, Graham Wilkinson, me
(I suspect Eric was behind the camera but it was 20 years ago...)

So it was that I registered  to run two  54mm War of 1812 games: The Battle of Chateauguay and an 1812 get the wagons over the bridge and blow it up game. Since the Courier had published With MacDuff to the Frontier the previous fall, I decided I'd best use them for my games but a chap called Rob Dean was also running a 40mm F&IW game using MacDuff so I signed up and we have been friends and a convention GM team ever since.


6 comments:

  1. I like a bit of nostalgia Ross, great stuff, lovely photo. Here's to lasting friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years later I would make my first trip to Cold Wars. Funny, I don't think of it as being that long ago, but seeing a pre-digital photograph from that timeframe certainly evokes the feeling that it was a different era (or perhaps just the beginning or end of one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was a different era in some ways (even disregarding 9/1/01) but that doesn't mean it was long ago!

      Delete