Friday, October 19, 2018

Clearing a Road Block

The scenario chosen for this  game was Triple Line from One Hour Wargames. Since I was still on the fence a bit about the exact plans for these figures, I kept the game small, but increased the army sizes slightly so that I could  use more than 1/4 of my table. The rules were Hearts of Tin using variable moves but no command control mechanisms.  

The Rosish forces have forced the bridge but crossing over the bridge and deploying for battle is taking longer than expected though the Maritime forces are content to wait.
The game wasn't bad though the Maritime Alliance forces thrashed the Rosmark army without even trying.  As far as practical matters, my preference for fixed multi-figure stands over loose figures on trays, magnetized or not was confirmed. Its not all physical or logical though there are some psychological and emotional or aesthetic aspects to my preference.

Anyway, this game helped confirm my decision to leave a contingent organized as proper Charge! units to join in NQSYW convention games in the US while once again organizing the rest for my own use at home rather than having the whole collection organized for Charge! games when I don't have room at home.
The Rosish general gets desperate as the day slips away and throws his army in piecemeal as they come up. (At this time my battery went out and I had to grab an old phone which just can't cope with the bad lighting.)
Anyway, I still like the variable length moves in Heart of Tin but...... given that all the units had a 6"  frontage and would thus fit the table grid, fussing with measuring and finding the tape and all hardly seemed worth the effort.

The Marshal's Horse braces for the 3rd charge by the Yellow Hussars while the infantry fight gets fierce and bloody. 
So, once the game was over, I removed the cloth and reset the table.

So....Hearts of Tin on a grid or SYW Square Brigadier?

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I heartily agree with the previous comment. All of your games have that certain something about them, but your 18th century guys are the very best. What ever it is that most appeals to me about "the look of the thing" comes clearly through in these photographs.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete