Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Bridge 2: The Sequel

This morning, I had a go at improving the profile of my bridge. It was while I was trying to figure out how to recover from a slight error when trimming that I remembered that I needed to measure the bridge vs the river I'll be using.

1/2 inch too short. Wellllll I could get my paints out and modify the river or just grab some more foamcore and make a new bridge with a profile more like the image in my head.


At least, I was sure I had more foamcore..... apparently I was mistaken but its an hour's drive to the closest supplier and I did have some thin corrugated cardboard. This stuff is strong enough and, with masking take over the edges and a bit of texturing followed by paint, it'll do fine. If I'd thought of it earlier I'd have made the sides double thick to make them look sturdier.



So now the bridge fits across the wider river and looks  and more like what I pictured, especially with the 54's.

14 comments:

  1. A bit of texture and paint should make for a very nice “old skool” piece (as in cardboard vs foamcore)—the fact that it is a throwback by necessity rather than intent need not be advertised 😊.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was by choice really: spend extra time and money or go Old School!

      Delete
  2. Not too late to add another layer to the sides if you want (unless that would make it too wide for your squares?). You could cover the joins with masking tape, as you did to cover the edges already.

    Looks like a good start anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was leaning that way despite concerns about being able to trace the sides once glued. Having slept on it, I went ahead and tripled the sides. Looks worth it to me.

      Delete
  3. I tend to cut little rectangles of thick card and glue them onto the sides of the Bridge randomly- just to give the impression of stone work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very practical bit of scratch building. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had nothing but disasters using foam board , maybe it's just me ?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, I followed the old Major-General's tutorials and had great success with the stuff but its harder to get hold of here and not environmentally friendly. I tend to forget cardboard but its cheap, functional and very old school.

      Delete
  6. There are available on-line pics of stonework one could use for cladding these cardboard bridges. You might recall this from 5-6 years ago
    https://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2013/07/sideonian-architecture.html
    The stonework pattern that I used from my odd-ball cruciform house would work well for the bridge, I think. I'll see if I can find the source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't located the source of my brick pattern, but I have found this:
    https://pixabay.com/images/search/stone%20wall/
    I've already downloaded a couple of patterns for possible future use!

    ReplyDelete