Monday, April 15, 2019

Words. Choose them carefully.

Having made a comment about randomness in my Saturday post, I spent a fair amount of time yesterday thinking about it and thinking about various comments until it hit me that I was way off track.

The problem wasn't a lack of randomness and fun, (I'm not really keen on either of those) but once mentioned that stuck with me. The actual problem would be better summed up as being a shortage of the important decision points that keep my brain engaged along with a lack of period flavour.
Toy Soldiers are always ready to play.
So I spent more time yesterday and today revisiting relevant historical actions, various old rules and some old games while thinking about what I do like based on experience. I was soon reminded of how much I enjoyed the Battle of Weeburg in February and where I had been headed.

So, I jotted down some outline rules, started to push some figures about and roll some dice.   Much better.

Toy Soldiers are also very patient, battle will recommence in a day or two,
Alas, after a good start, time was up! Duty called so the game halted but will resume another day.

6 comments:

  1. That's the nice thing about solo - no real time constraints. Set it up, keep going back to it a move at a time. For me, that's more important than specific rules - again, I'm liable to get distracted then change the rules in the middle of a game. Or change the game.You can make your own decision points as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. In this case I have been fiddling with...well...making up and trying rules as I go to see how things feel and work. Toys are patient.

      Delete
  2. Pleased to see that your enjoying your Solo Battles Ross- and honing in on what pleases you the most- which IS all important. I note the 'Davey Crocket' type Hat hanging off the picture frame in the background- way back in the 60s a friend of mine in Primary School had that type of genuine Hat...reminds me of 'Daniel Boon' staring Fes Parker...what a great TV Show that was! Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, great tv series but Fess was even better as Davy Crocket on Wonderful World of Disney.

      Delete
  3. Well it looks good so I hope it's both random and fun

    ReplyDelete