Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Minor Affair

Well, I got my game in!
The new guns proved surprisingly accurate.
The scenario selected was another boiled down CS Grant scenario with both sides rushing reinforcements to reinforce/eliminate a bridgehead over a river.  My original intention was to use my gridded rules but since I will be running MacDuff games at Huzzzah!, I decided to add the 19thC weapons in and use them , after all the original Colonial version was aimed at just this period. I did find myself using the grid to estimate ranges and movement instead of measuring and I may pursue that thought.

The Rebels have seized an unguarded crossing and both sides are rushing troops to the scene.
The game was  pretty much  what the book claims to offer: a quick, easy game. However, it also settled into an extended firefight again with little scope for manoeuvre,  This is not wrong for a clash between two small 1870's forces but  its not as engaging a game as one might want though it was as fast as desired. It may be a case "You pays your money and takes your choice" but  it may that a different set of rules or different period might have given a more satisfying game. I'll leave the table as is in case I get a chance to put the question to the test.
Casualties were heavy on both sides but eventually the Rebels were forced to retreat.

In any case, I wanted to get my 54's out and have a game and I did and I enjoyed it! Mission accomplished. 

15 comments:

  1. Well, if nothing else it has a marvelous old school toy soldier look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your figures look marvellous as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gun looks splendid, though I worry about the chap with the rammer standing so close to the muzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he has learned by observation to move pretty briskly when the order to fire is being given,

      Delete
  4. Great looking 54mm and photos Ross...in this life I've certainly missed out on gaming with 'Toy Soldiers'- that is why I enjoy your articles so much. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an awful thing to miss Kev! Never too late to start really.

      Delete
  5. A very delightful looking game. I always find myself enlarging the photos and having a good in depth look at your lovely set ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All improvised or at least quickly made with an eye to practicalities of needing to travel and have a compact footprint. (The bridge amuses me since a friend made it for our 15mm games back in the 80's!)

      Delete
    2. oh wow, really.... it works, and looks like a bridge and.... well, I`d never have guessed it was for 15mm at all, wow. Improvised and travel ready, it all works a treat :-)

      Delete
  6. The "historical vs. enjoyable" observation is interesting. Raises the question of how to make firefights enjoyable. Movement is fun, in part, because of choices. How, then, to introduce meaningful choice to fire fight mechanics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. The answer I've developed in theory is the element of predictability or rather the lack there of. The goal is to have long range firefights to be indecisive and close range fights of any kind to be risky so that you want to set them up really well and stack the odds in your favour unless you are desperate. But, they need to take into account your choices of tacctics etc rather than being totally random.

      I have found this easier to say than achieve. Sometimes I get there, sometime I miss on one side or the other.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photos as always. Smart looking lads. I have always enjoyed "Affair" sized battles. A handful of units on each side makes for a quick and engaging little battle. How about reducing the ranges a bit, for more maneuver before the shooting begins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is under consideration but since I want the rifles to have a significant improvement in range over muskets I'm struggling with it. I am thinking about banning the fire and move though and with lengthening the move distances.

      Delete