Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Not Just Whistlin' Dixie

 It was quick and dirty painting but they are table ready.

Hat ACW Marching Set 1 + Command

These figures would well repay careful shading and highlighting but a quick wash of burnt umber thinned with matte varnish will do for battle. (Semigloss varnish added for protection)

For comparison: To the right of the new boys (viewers left): a mix of Imex, Italeri and Airfix painted about a decade ago. To their left: mostly Airfix, painted 40 yrs ago. When I rescued them after a few decades thrown into a bin full of a jumble of unemployed 1/72nd plastic, mostly unpainted, I added a few Imex to fill out the ranks.


With TWO untested units, I suppose I'll have to set up a game now! 

16 comments:

  1. Surprisingly effective painting/washing, Ross. They all look really good en masse. This might just cause me to rethink my own brushwork in the interest of added expediency.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fast. I can't paint for long these days so I work in short spurts. I doubt if these lads took mor than 90 minutes from sprue to photo all told (even though it was spread over 4 or 5 days.)

      Delete
  2. They work well Ross...
    Though I have to admit, I still have a soft spot for the Airfix chaps.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. These troops look suitably dirty. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine wargaming unit. I am starting to appreciate 20mm plastic figures again myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're about the smallest I can still see well enough to paint and play with. I back to the scales I used to play with as a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ross, these are really amazing. I think the paint job is fantastic and I am really warming up to these HAT figures.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, acceptable anyway. Yes these are an innovation as well as a cut above much of their earlier stuff.

      Delete
  7. I agree the washes are highly effective in producing masses o' troops. (I think I first observed that phenom from your 15mm F&F Confed'rits.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah wargame blogs. The only place where you can possibly pictures of Confederate flags without having to immediately apologize. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darned fine job of these Ross. Wonderful.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete