Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Something on the Lighter Side

 When I started in on the War of 1812 in the mid 1990's, it was in 54mm, before my first trip to Cold Wars and just as the first trickle of new 54mm Plastics were appearing. I managed to convert 1 of the brand new Hat French Dragoons into a British 19th Light Dragoon. The next thing I knew I was waist deep in 40mm homecast figures and the rest never got done. 

Since 40mm 1812 is back on the table I decided that it was time for my New York 2nd Dragoons to finally have a proper opponent.

19th Light Dragoons 1814

Since my 1840's Heavy Dragoons (painted in 2011) are surplus, storage space is at a premium and I had been planning to convert some of the same castings to Light Dragoons, I decided to apply the refurbish, reuse principle. The result is not perfect in many details but it was all the conversion and repainting I wanted to do and they are quite serviceable as toy soldiers. Besides, I  like gaming with old friends.

Basic conversion done.
Repainting of the Dragoons only about to start.

Of course now the I'm getting official complaints from the US Regular Dragoons, Kentucky Mounted Rifles and the Canadian Provincial Dragoons, all demanding to also be represented.

11 comments:

  1. "There comes a time, grizzled grognard, when the ‘ice dice’ cease to sparkle; when the satin spray loses its lustre; the painting desk becomes a prison, and all that is left is a gamer's love for his next miniatures product purchase."

    - King Osric, Conan THe Barbarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have turned out nicely Ross...
    Shiny toy soldiers indeed...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. After 10 years in red, it was time for a change.

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done Ross. They should serve you well.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they have so far and I'm glad to not have to retire them.

      Delete
  4. I like them. Hope to see the figures on your wargaming table. I read somewhere that HAT figures are more compatible with Britains toy soldiers?
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know probably depends on which Hat and which Britain's. Anyway these are 40mm homecast from Zinnbrigade moulds.

      Delete
  5. They are fabulous conversions Ross. It's a shame that there is still a dearth of cavalry in 54 mm. Which heads have you used to supply the shakos; A Call to Arms French line?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the 1860's chaps are the only 54's I'm using. Most of the rest are homecast 40's. The cavalry are from Zinnbrigade moulds, the heads are from French infantry from the same range.

      Delete