Saturday, March 6, 2021

Exercising the Little Grey Cells

Today I turned my mind to the new rules for the musket era in North America. It didn't take long  to get into the old cycle of adding colour, detail, and old familiar rules and then gradually taking them back out again to stream line them to suit the sort of short games on a smallish table that I am hoping and planning to play.

The 2nd half of the Royals have had their lace updated while the 2nd half of the 60th just need buttons and gloss varnish. That'll give me 6 game units of British regular infantry which will do for now.

I found my mind turning to the simplicity of Thomas's One Hour Wargames. They are too simple for my taste, especially the lack of tactical options. (eg Each troop type has only one tactic.  For musket era infantry, it is to shoot and maximum range is every bit as good as point blank.) The end result may be what counts but I want a bit more. Still, its got me rethinking some old ways and assumptions. 


Needs some testing on the table top.




6 comments:

  1. Great photo of British storming the defenses. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for new rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean re On Hour...
    I am very much looking forward to seeing where you will go rules wise next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These chaps look super smart - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent looking troops! I too look forward to where you go with the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very photogenic scene to be sure. THis one needs to be colour printed, blown up, and framed...perhaps repro'd and given out as Christmas gifts....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ross Mac,

    Those figures look very impressive, especially now that they have been updated.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete