Thursday, March 11, 2021

Yes...yes....No

Well, the rally rule looked promising but the test game was just 'okay'. It was slightly different rather than better, and still not quite what I wanted and didn't feel worth a blog post.  I wasted a fair amount of time replacing the rally rules by a morale test only to decide that I  didn't really want to go back there either.

Well, when in doubt, paint! 

So, I  sorted through my box of retired French infantry, mostly painted for Europe, formed three regiments of two stands each and hit the books. A touch up on two of the quarters on Picardie's flag changed it to Cambis' flag, I restored La Reine's red cuffs which had been repainted blue a few years ago for an amalgamation into a Charge! unit, gloss varnish applied, 6 bases cut and painted, troops mounted  and there we are! (Well, ok the bases need a little work but they are functional, ) 

Six refurbished game units ready to rumble in America and a decision made on what to try next!

This will involve a step back towards Morschauser, Hearts of Tin, and the Square Brigadier.  Moving adjacent will again lead to both sides rolling for hits with a chance of one side or the other being forced to retreat. I guess I wasn't really ready for a change.

I  am  ready for another test game though!


15 comments:

  1. “When in doubt, paint.” Can’t argue with that logic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting new stuff is better but there is limited room and the inn and it is also good to rescue old friends from dusty retirement.

      Delete
    2. I loved that one too Ross. Not to mention the resulting figures. Wonderful.
      Regards, James

      Delete
  2. I like the products of painting. Time to ponder during the painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Sometimes the mind works better in background mode.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding! Love the sight of Lilies In The Forest.

    Great pictures, Ross.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ross:
    Just catching up on your blog to find another fascinating rules experiment in process. I shall have to go back and reread and even download your draft.
    When in doubt, paint is a sturdy motto.
    PS skimming your post I thought I read “Cannabis” flag, which would make for troops with very calm and steady morale but extra rationing requirements!
    Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, the real reason Louisburg surrendered? No munchies?

      Delete
  5. One of the main sticking points that has me hung up on a set of rules that have been "in progress" for some time has been the vexed question of how to either eliminate or minimize the negative impact of morale on the game flow--it's not unusual for resolving morale to take up as much or more time than combat resolution in many systems. I'd like for morale to still be there, either incorporated into combat or in some other way, but so far, I've not hit upon the right answer (or should I say one that satisfies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a hard time divorcing myself from morale tests, comes from starting with Featherstone then WRG in the 70's.

      My most successful approach over the last 20 years is 3 fold. 1. I let the better troops absorb more hits/casualties before breaking, while shaky troops give way with less damage. The uncertainty comes from the rate at which casualties are inflicted (ie assuming hits are mostly morale, exhaustion, etc a missed hit reflects better morale, not worse shooting).
      2. I give some better troops enhanced capability whether point blank shooting or cold steel and the inverse for poor troops.
      3. Close combat whether volleys at 50 yards or cold steel are a 2 sided combat resolution with bonues as in 2 but where if the loser loses he retreats, The better troops are more likely to win but if they take more hits and retreat, they are more likely to be able to come back rather than reaching their break point and fleeing the field.

      For the 20 years since I hammered out that approach so contrary to my "upbringing", I keep trying to find a better way, more traditional way, and failing. Owes a lot to Charge! oddly enough.

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking troops. Interesting discussion of morale too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sometimes its hard to know whats interesting to others and what isn't.

      Delete