Saturday, April 10, 2021

This and That

As predicted, there wasn't much hobby time last week but I  did get 2 games in: the Prince Valiant solo game and a remote 1914 'A Gentleman's Wargame'. 

A cellphone snap of my view. Couldn't  figure out how to do a screen capture

It was good fun and a great chance to chat with and get to know long time internet friend Nick Stern better.

The Prince Valiant inspired game was based on the CS Grant Wagontrain scenario from Scenarios for Wargames which I believe is now back in print. It was also a test run of my latest attempt to adapt my Fall of Rome games onto my hex grid. 



I have made several attempts over the years to learn to enjoy single figure, semi role-playing,  'skirmish'  games but my heart and mind just don't seem to run that way. This time, I  decided to focus on a "board game" approach with fixed units on hexes but with simple rules that might be accessible to non-wargamers but still appeal to me. (You know, the sort of thing one.  could perhaps take to a seniors care home a few decades from now.)


Early days yet, and they aren't properly written up, but the feel of the game was good and I enjoyed it. 

I have already started re-sorting the Elastolin figures that I have painted back into fixed units but now of 6 infantry, 4 light infantry or 3 cavalry,  and planning a fixed maximum OB for each faction. 

I expect to see them appear on the blog more frequently this year but there are still those new ACW lads who have yet to see the elephant.









12 comments:

  1. For any of the 'skirmish games' at 1:1 scale you need to have some heroic tale to be told.

    I thought that your Prince Valiant era stuff would be great for this sort of story-telling approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be but despite several attempts, either playing in someone else's game or trying my own, I just don't enjoy 1:1 or semi roleplaying games or tavern brawls and duels. I don't even like hero centric movies or books.

      That may seem odd given my attraction to Prince Valiant but there it is the setting of the stories, as much as anything and despite his occasional heroics, most of the interesting stories involve tactics and armies, even if they are sometimes small armies.

      Anyway I've reached a point in life where I'm happy to be who I am and not worry about it.

      Delete
  2. Too Fat Lardies created a few games that straddle smal unit + "role-playing" using Special Characters relevant to the scenario(s). Ever play any of their rules? (Downloadable PDF rules in the main.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thanks but while there are lots of rules out there I'm just not interested in the genre. The challenge I have set myself here is to write a game that zi want to play but which might be accessible to some non wargamers.

      Delete
  3. So far, even if the rules you've been using haven't quite hit the mark merging skirmish and role-play, they've provided narratives that seem as if they had! Perhaps it's a matter or perspective in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or narrative control? I let the game play as it plays and then find a way to weave a narrative I like around the game. Two separate hobbies merging?

      Delete
  4. Whoa! Where did you get that amazing castle?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the only Games Workshop thing that I've ever bought, somewhere around the turn of the century.

      Delete