Wednesday, August 11, 2021

We Interupt This Battle For A Battle

This morning was damp and grey so I decided on a scenario, selected the troops and set the table. But by then, it was warm and sunny and yard and garden duties called.

By the time I knocked off, it was hot and everyone else was outside so......

Yup  I broke out one of my small, gridded cloths, and my 1/72nd fantasy figures, then headed out.

I decided to just go with my Gathering of Hosts rules, no special magical or fantasy bits, and no scenario, just 6 units aside on random terrain. 

The Sea People had their King with his armoured bodyguard, 4 other warbands and a unit of archers while the Woodsfolk had 1 Chieftain in a chariot with runners, 2 light infantry, 2 cavalry and 1 archer. They didn't have a hope.

Luckily they didn't need hope. After a short but brutal fight, they outflanked the Sea People and managed to break them just before they reached their own breakpoint.

If there is rain tomorrow,  then this one will get its turn.

Yes it is. A timeless classic.








16 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your gridded game and those lovely Airfix ancient Britains. Compact fun.
    We await the main event with interest.
    P.s I do like the look of the painted cloth. What material is it and what paints did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A piece of scrap fabric from the sales section of a fabric seller painted with the same craft acrylics that I use on my figures.

      Delete
  2. I spot some venerable Airfix Ancient Britons !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderately if not ersatz venerable, early 20thC Hat re-releases.

      Delete
  3. Esplosione Ponte? ;-)

    Or Sauter du Pont?

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice looking table and armies Ross, I look forward to the next battle. It is probably my favourite scenario.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, lots of original homecast figures on table for the second game. The scenario is a durable classic!

      Delete
  5. Always felt that between Ancient Brits, Robin Hood and Romans you could do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about but the 1/72nd versions of old Marx and Elastolins were very welcome.

      Delete
  6. Love the painted cloth battle mar. Veteran figures looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An impromptu mat for some reason or other from a couple of years ago, I had forgotten it till I opened the box.

      Delete
  7. I do hope the rain cooperated and you were able to play that second scenario!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some very nice 1/72 armies you have here, like a sunshine on the table :)

    ReplyDelete