Saturday, September 4, 2021

How Went the Day? (6 Sep: rules just proof read and edited)

 ****Spoiler Alert***

Really well actually. 

As more Rebels deployed and began their grand attack on either flank, the Federal General recalled what was left of the Regulars to the hill and prepared to hold the line. 

Firstly, I did a rethink last night and came up with a new minor tweak to the rules I was trying to write that looked like it would solve my issues.  The game played easily and quickly with about 2/3 of my existing armies on table, gave the feel I wanted, and had enough moments of drama to get the juices flowing.

Along the ridge, the Confederate left had suffered too much in the early fighting to break through the final Yankee line even though its last supports had been detached to meet an emergency on the other flank. 

Secondly,  it was a white knuckle finish.  

On the other flank, the tardy Rebel brigade finally showed up at the ford and then struggled to fight their way across despite facing a single Yankee cavalry unit. A push across the front from bridge to ford, buckled the Union line and forced it back until only a remnant of a few shattered regiments stood between the Confederate left and the vital roads leading to the Union camps and beyond. Only the hasty redeployment of a few regiments from the ridge allowed the Federals to form a thin line to hold the Confederates away from the crucial road. In the end, it was the brave intervention by a Brigadier to rally the last remnant of one regiment that stopped a break through.   

There is only a both sides of a page draft summary of the rules as yet if someone is interested (<click> here). I'll play a few more games before I think about writing a complete set with engineering, supply trains, amphibious ops and so on. Its also time to get around to naming and labelling all of my commanders and units and making the unit id's more easily legible.

In the meantime, there are some other collections lobbying to use the table on Monday.

  

15 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a great game Ross. Thanks for posting the draft rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'd add a warning, but you have plenty of experience with my new drafts! :)

      Delete
  2. The rule changes bode well with a close game fought out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. The older versions gave pretty much the same sort of feel and result, but in twice the time and effort.

      Delete
  3. It is great to see your AIRFIX ACW Armies in full action- well done Ross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a thrill to see your ACW figures out on the table. Thanks for the link to the rules, I will download and give them a spin the next time I have my own toys out.
    Cheers,
    Mike P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you do try me, any feedback good or bad is welcome. Being only two sides of a page, there will be plenty of 'not really explained' bits and lots of room for adjusting to taste.

      Delete
  5. Ross Mac,

    A very impressive looking battle that show just how good the Airfix figures are. Their ACW range was one of the best they produced … and I created my first two pair of wargame armies using them.

    The rules also look interesting, and I hope to download them later today.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did press some into service in my very earliest games when, as a teenager, it was a close kept secret with one of my oldest friends (relationship wise, age wise he was a year younger) but my first "real" wargame armies were converted from Airfix Britons and others to face Airfix Romans.

      Delete
  6. Very interested in the rules - they look both elegant and fun - and there appears to be enough in the draft to try out a game so I've grabbed a copy thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feedback is welcomed once you've read over and maybe tried them.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the rules Ross. I’ll give them a try in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two sides of a page rules are perfect, if you can achieve it; especially when both players are of the same understanding/philosophy (i.e. you and you!).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete