Friday, September 3, 2021

The Weekend Is Here!

 And the weather is forecast to be cold and damp, good indoor wargaming weather!  

Having had time and opportunity this week to test each of the variations that I have been considering, I now understand why they worked for some purposes previously and why they aren't working for what I want to do now.  Essentially, giving each of the 3 stands in a unit the same fighting power and endurance as a single unit in the Square Brigadier, increases the average longevity of the units while still leaving a small possibility of a quick collapse or a heroic stand, all of which seems to mesh well with the history I read. Unfortunately, with some 40 or 50 units in play, it also tends to make the game both longer and less exciting for a solo player.

The first attack is struggling and the last Confederate brigade is late to arrive but the game is playing more quickly and feels a bit edgier.

So I turned back to the solution that I have been deliberately avoiding for the sake of variety, an ACW variant of the  Square Brigadier. It is basically the same game, but with each multi-stand unit being treated like a one stand unit. The result is more uncertainty and a quicker pace. 

I played through 2 more turns today and will finish the game on Saturday then set up something for Sunday. (Yup, dog shows are making a comeback!! Yay!)



8 comments:

  1. Hope you have an enjoyable and useful session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of rules problems that is one great looking table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I kept at least 1 set of 20mm/1/72nd armies. It was either ACW or Boer War, the figures voted and well, majority ruled.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking game as always. I think my head exploded when i read "40 or 50 units"! Not even sure I own that many units across multiple periods total!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps, the first couple of units were painted in 1980 and about 1/2 the figures were painted by a group of local wargamers in the 70's/80's and I inherited the collection about a decade ago.

      Delete
  4. 40/50 units is a LOT! I aspire to do half that many in 28s for my ACW collection before I shuffle off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in my defence, they are only 1/72nd (my equivalent to 10 or 15mm these days ) painted simply, 1/2 of them were painted by others and passed on to me, and the first 6 of 'my' units were painted 40 years ago! I just wish there weren't still a few hundred waiting in the cupboard, my table may need to be extended again.

      Delete