Thursday, October 14, 2021

After The Sergeant-Major Was Through With Him

When you are only doing a few small units, there's no point in stopping till you are OK with what you've done.


So I went back and did a very little bit of shading, redid the sheepskins, and  checked for missing details like the white bands on the waist sash. NOW I'm happy with how they are coming. Not "model" or modern "wargame standard" nor "toy soldier",  maybe "enhanced toy soldier" or maybe even "early 70's Old School Wargaming", or just "Ross' style".  

The unit should be table ready by Sunday, hope the table is too!

I do miss the days when I could see the figure and the paintbrush tip and the painting desk at the same time, didn't have to watch my hand wobble as it approached a fiddly bit, and didn't have to rest my back every 1/2 hour, but I am extremely happy that there is every likelihood that I will be able to enjoy my hobby for years to come. 

In other news it looks like the US will be letting the Northern Barbarians cross the wall again before the year is out so planning for a 40mm French Rev game at Huzzah in Portland, Maine in May has resumed.

27 comments:

  1. Regardless of their style, full of charm and whimsy. Kind of just shouting to be played with and enjoyed.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ‘Ross style’ works for me…
    I am looking forward to seeing him with the rest of his comrades…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Works for me. Hopefully they'll get their baptism of dice within the week.

      Delete
  3. Nice to know what I look forward to, as I bitch and moan about my eyes not being up to painting like I used to ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember, things can always get worse.

      Delete
    2. One of my Nana's favorite sayings: "From the time that you're born, 'till you fide in the hearse. Things are never so bad, that they cannot be worse."

      Delete
  4. Very dashing! Nice paint job!

    I'm at the point where I need different glasses for painting than I do for things like tv viewing distance, and different from what I need for distances in between those, so I can't really do something like watch a movie while I paint. I really have to choose the distance I am operating at for a while. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the bold contrasting colours, with enough detail in white to make the figure interesting. A half dozen figures like this 'en masse' will look superb...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're more colourful than my usual but they're growing on me.

      Delete
  6. Snazzy. I find these inspiring me to return to my heretofore neglected Horse 'n Muskets. ("Onnnnne day," for those wacky French Revolutionary Caribbean resort scenarios!)

    ...It's also inspiring me to begin my Christmas shopping a bit earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wolves teeth on the saddle cloth: that's high "style" in my book! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the wolves teeth are related to the sheepskin saddleclothes......

      Delete
  8. Gonna be a fine looking unit. That 40 :40 trade-off is working really well, I reckon.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like “Ross”;style, great figures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also like the "Ross" style. Very nicely done figures. They look wonderful.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looks great, lots of old school flavours. Keep at the brushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to avoiding recreating my old 15mm armies but it appears that I'm going there after all. Hmm I may have to consider doing that multi player pontoon bridge game we did at Dalhousie where one gamer opened up with artillery on one of his allies in error.

      Delete