Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Phase One

 The 2 Hesse-Darmstadt units are now up to full strength of 8 and 16 respectively. The two additional Jaegers are from the new Prince August SYW Jaeger moulds but with my own heads to update them to 1793.

I didn't bother with a picture of the additional infantry since they are just 4 more of my existing Hessians upgraded from tricornes to bicornes and thus looking just like their fellows who've been appearing on my table over the last year.

The two new figures are in the foreground.......

I just need to upgrade two more bonnets to feather bonnets and I can paint up the last 4 Highlanders. Mine are almost certainly too feathery for 1793 but probably OK for 1797+ish though contemporary details and illustrations of the uniform changes over the decade, including the change from belted plaid to small kilt, and bonnet with a few feathers to a feather bonnet,  are a bit vague, like no-one thought the details of the intermittent transition in style, regiment by regiment, would be of interest to toy soldier enthusiasts 200 years later.  So, when in doubt, go with what you can make from what you've got and make 'em shiny.

By the time I get the Highlanders finished and ready for the table, I should have a new version of my old Hearts of Tin rules ready for  test game.  

14 comments:

  1. You are making steady progress, Ross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels slow and erratic on this end but every bit counts.

      Delete
  2. It's always surprising how the addition of the odd figure or two too a unit opens up all sorts of wargaming possibilities .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still adjusting to my little table but slightly fewer but slightly larger units seems to give a better game with the units developing their own personality and history.

      Delete
  3. A splendid unit full of purpose. The additional figures add to its potential game play value greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my Hesse Darmstadt army in 6mm based with H&R Prussians. It was a very small army, no pun intended, of about a large brigade or division in strength. In reality it was a very small force.
    The figures look splendid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its been a lonnnnnggggg time since I painted any H&R figures!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see the new figures on the table - I think the new musician will pop up in a lot of places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a nice addition. The standing officer will be a nice addition for the 1750's.

      Delete
  6. I'm not generally a fan of band figures, but that musician is standing with such studied casualness that he embodies "cool". Although anachronistic, I will imagine him playing bebop as the guns rage around him. I hope he has plot immunity in any conflict he appears in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Musician? Thats no bandsman! He's the 18thC equivalent of radioman/loudspeaker guy transmitting orders and info. "Advance" "Fallback" "Commence Fire", "Cease Fire", "Enemy in sight". That sort of thing.

      Delete
  7. Looking good. Can't go wrong with shinies.

    ReplyDelete