Sunday, October 10, 2021

Tomorrow Was A Better Day

Well, this afternoon was better anyway. After being up to completing some pre-winter outdoor chores and doing some baking chores this morning.   I turned on  the melting pot again after lunch.

Emigre hussars catch some French skirmishers in the open. (Undressed rehersal.)

My main goal this time was to cast enough figures for 1 of the 2 remaing cavalry units I want to fill my initial OB's. (2 units a side for the initial OB, 1 light, 1 heavy). Since the new(ish) multi part cavalry moulds that I plan to use for French heavy cavalry in bicornes are again giving me problems, I decided to cast my planned Emigre Hussar unit.

Since there is necessarily a pause before repouring a mould, I turned back to the new moulds for some alternates to keep things flowing. I managed to get an arm waving a tricorne for General Montcalm and a number of the Austrian caps as well as some of the light infantry firing bodies who will probably supply bodies for both French and British units.

I think I  might have shortened this front plate a mm too much.

I managed a number of the false fronted caps. It was easy enough to flatten the top with a few stroke of a file, but I'm not sure about the front plate. The Austrians aren't really 'my thing' and my 15mm French Rev Austrians were all off the shelf castings, so I don't have many sources. Naturally, they seem to disagree about how tall the front plate was and exactly what its shape was.  Luckily, I wasn't initially planning on any Austrian units so there is no rush. 

18 comments:

  1. Always feels good to have the metal 'in hand' after a successful day of casting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A better session indeed. These will look great painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always do things in rotation if I'm drop casting - half a dozen moulds, do them singly, finish number 6 and the first one is ready. I know that I'll either find a use for them or can reuse the metal anyway so nothing lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I occasionally line up that many but my current work surface isn't big enough and the clutter gets dangerous not to mention the longevity of the hordes of waiting castings. So since I have a permanent set up again and can pour pretty much any time of the year, I've started casting "on demand" with just enough moulds to avoid impatience while waiting for the figure to harden.

      Delete
    2. I do basically the same thing, but usually find that 4 molds is enough when working by myself. If I finish as many castings from on of the molds as I need, I’ll swap in the next. I try not to set out more than 8 for the session.

      Delete
  4. The Goddess has smiled on your endeavors - he looks Austrian enough to me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I can do as many test ones as I want at no cost.

      Delete
  5. These moulds are a veritable melting pot for various units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummh, actually its the melting pot that is the melting pot.........the moulds are more like the formation, like education and training.

      Delete
    2. Hm. This is beginning to sound like an institution for repressive indoctrination to turn individual figures into martial marionettes. Next we’ll be told that they’ll all be painted by the brushstrokes of the same colour!

      Delete
  6. "Tomorrow Was A Better Day" sounds like a 007 movie title. Who will he cast his lot in with? Sorry, I'll see myself out. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon, I may be forced to watch the sequal to today's Bond film: No Time To Game.

      Delete