Thursday, June 23, 2022

Quick as a Mouse!

This week's game was Scenario 25, "Infiltration", from Thomas's One Hour Wargames.  The premise is that one side (Oerberg in this case)  has sent four units to raid an enemy supply depot which is just off the other side of the table. The other side (The Dominion of Faraway) has one unit on guard, two more approaching from the depot to block the way (turn 3), and finally, three units chasing the raiders (turn 6).

The raiders managed to pass the Dominion outpost, but not without some losses. The PomPom crew seemed to be having engine problems (dice) so unlimbered and started putting shells into the sandbags. 


At the far end of the table, a company of  Ross's Rifles deployed, supported by a Mountain Gun. The raiders quickly debussed or dismounted and began shooting over their heads. 


The remnant of the outpost garrison cheered loudly as Larsen's Lancers and Tin Lizzy sped past in hot pursuit.


The Lancers caught up to the Pompom in good time then, rather than risk a charge, dismounted and finished off the crew with rifle fire. The infantry quickly debussed as they approached the enemy but the camp guard had stopped the raiders cold and Tin Lizzy's MG had finished the job on this end.
All in an hour's work.


Some people might have noticed that the table doesn't look as gridish as it did. I had suspected this was coming, and indeed, paiting the grid on  had been a last throw of the dice for using a grid for anything but small portable games. Its a lengthy explantion and maybe I'll write something on it eventually, but my main table is now grid free again, unless of course a gridded cloth is laid overtop of it when I get the urge.  

This means the rules of a few of my collections need a rewrite but, what doesn't really?  I'll want to play at least another game before I share these rather simple, nothing innovative, off-grid, rules but they are promising.

8 comments:

  1. I love the miniatures and the vehicles! It looks like the rules would work for early World War One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ross, I look forward to your ‘eventual’ post on grid to gridless. I have recently travelled the same route, resulting in the conversion of home rules to fit.

    I have however kept the hex based rules updated, as I have found that the constant tinkering that one does with rules, very quickly ‘develops’ the new set so that it parts company with the old set, which if I returned to them, would be a pain to retro-fit the new stuff, so I still develop both sets at the same time, so that they retain a proper relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my iPad anti tracking feature keeps on posting me as anonymous! Norm.

      Delete
    2. The "Plan" is to consciously separate the two with some collections being designed primarily to work on a grid and others designed not to fit on a grid (so to speak) . But I'll get to that, probably this week since its on my mind.

      Delete
  3. I will be interested to see the off grid rules and eventually hear your rationale. As ever your changes and transformations inspire all of us in our own hobby plans.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great report Ross - I haven't tried this scenario yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to remember if I have. I think I did play them all but can't remember and haven't taken the time to go back and search.

      Delete