A test layout for a game. Its a bit too cluttered for a battle, looks a bit more skirmish game like, and the desired number of 16 figure battalions will not fit on table so it was sent back to the drawing board. The number of buildings and fences has been reduced and the units reduced to 12 figures and the game is now waiting for Lentulus to take command tomorrow.
I've temporarily renounced my efforts to make my table look like grassy fields. I just don't have a good enough eye for colour and can't seem to find the right sort of green. (The colour in the picture is not accurate btw.)
Now it doesn't help that when I drive down the road looking at fields, none of them are a single colour, they are usually a dozen shades of green mixed with as many shades of brown, tan and yellow. If you stand back far enough, it looks like one colour but I can't get it.
It also doesn't help that no two fields are the same colour, it depends on things like what kind of plants are growing, are they close cropped by sheep or grazed by cattle, are they new hay, old hay or new mown hay and where is the sun and shadows? I had planned to use this to make a grid on my table that looks like a pattern of fields but it take long to figure out that I don't have the vision for that either. Perhaps if I were to model a particular set of fields in a particular scale but as soon as I changed the scale or setting that would throw it out again. I'll save that for some future product and any future grid will be of the Promethian barely visible sort.
Anyway, I figured, if its not going to be "the right" shade it could at least be bright and cheery and so I mixed various tempura and latex paints to get an acceptable bright toy table top green and then mottled it with a light green. That'll do me for the foreseeable future.