Friday, August 2, 2019

Bringing up the guns

A little bit more done today.

Looking over my artillery moulds I decided that the old Karoliner/1750 French gun would not serve as anything but a 3 pounder with these larger figures but that the Rosbach 12pdr was a suitable size and shape to pass as a Gribeauval 8 pdr. Given that the games are most likely to be affairs of outposts, a four pounder seemed more likely and the carriage was very similar. A bit more research showed that the French 4 pdr was of similar length as the Austrian 6pdr so I chose that barrel. The wheels are also from the new SYW mould as looking more 1790's-ish.

I wanted to use at least a few of the tall new crewman but didn't want everyone in waistcoats so I used two plus two converted Rosbach Prussians. Probably I could have gotten away with ignoring the old fashioned long waistcoats but trimming them wasn't a huge job, especially since it was rather crudely done. I'm hoping that the simple glossy painting will gloss over it (so to speak). I'm not sure if the veste had sleeves or not in 1792 but I'm going to go with shirtsleeves to emphasis that they have removed their coats.

My old, reliable, nearly 50 year old, copy of Kannick shows a Republican French gunner with a horse hair plume which I rather like, so I copied it!

Waiting in the wings is a mock up of a future General of the Republic! Aka new SYW Dragoon officer with one of my bicorne heads. Its back in the melting pot for this first go but I really like the look of these new cavalry moulds.

Much as I want to get this gun crew painted, they are going to have to wait. I'm off to Austerlitz on Saturday morning! Well, ok my body is off to Lower Sackville where Jeff of the Armchair Commander blog will be hosting an all day 15mm Austerlitz wargame. Attendance looks to be good so I expect to see a number of old friends as well as newer ones around the table or dropping by. I also expect to see some old 15mm friends marching on to the field as well.

4 comments:

  1. You know, even in the bare metal this get my blood stirring with what ifs. Strange, I realize. But then Mom always said I was easily entertained.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be the thought of the Scarlet Pimpernal and how he's going to handle this new threat.

      Delete
  2. I like where you're going with the officer, and it was great to meet up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for him, and yes it was great! Some day we'll get to roll some dice.

      Delete