Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Something is a Foote

Over the last year I've been listening my way through an audiobook version of Shelby Foote's massive trilogy on the American Civil War.  Over the last 10 years I've been seesawing between my desire to fight higher level ACW battle with brigade sized  units and lower level ones with regiments but Shelby's books are nudging me back towards something more like corps level battles.

Picket's Charge game from July of 2013 (click)


There is a lot to be said for each type of game and there are multiple ways of doing each or both. Key decision points crop up. How much detail and "flavour" do I want to show? What kind of decisions do I want to make during a game? How long do I want the games to last in real time and how many "units" do I want on table for a game and how big should they be? The list of questions is long!

A Hearts of Tin game with 3 stand regiments from 2015. (click)


Well, its time for another experiment.

Rule one was : No rebasing!
Rule two was make room for a few more figures but not too many.
Rule three was that the length of the games must not increase and it must be possible to play some quick but interesting games with a few units as well as all afternoon ones with every man on parade.

Gettysburg in 2014 with too many too small brigades. Neither fish nor fowl (click).


My latest decision has been to put 2 of my regiments together to form standard sized brigades of 6 stands for now but to write the rules to allow  for variable sized brigades. This will give me about 10 infantry brigades  with room for another couple. It is no accident that this was the standard On to Richmond Union Brigade, smaller than Fire & Fury Brigades but bigger than Volley & Bayonet ones. To achieve this I merely need to roughly double my ground scale and halve weapon ranges. Clear the table!

But wait!

I have one last game to play in my Not Quite the Seven Years War mini-campaign! Best get that done first!


8 comments:

  1. Have to admit I tend to ignore things like ground scale, etc. I base it more on 'looks right' - standard infantry move distance 6", any less, game too slow, any more it's over in a flash. Shooting, don't want anything able to stand on one table edge and have a firefight with something on other side of table, so maximum range (except, possibly, for some artillery!) 2' on a 4' wide table. Then I take it from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By and large I agree so one could approach this from another angle and say that the latest experiments weren't satisfactory.

      I liked the look and some aspects of the last game play but the game took too long and had too many simple but repetitive low level mechanics and too few "Command" decisions.

      Delete
  2. The Pickett's Charge game looks fantastic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Rule one was : No rebasing!"

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As those photos show, which ever way you finally decide to go, it is going to look grand!

    ReplyDelete