Friday, March 27, 2020

Easy Mini-Campaigns Solo Miniature Wargaming (Part 4)

Campaigns are a good way to add way to add context and interest to wargames. The best ones are long running affairs with maps, histories, personalities and so on but these take a great deal of time, effort, discipline and imagination, more than I can muster to be honest.  My real interest is in playing the games so when I want something more I  play a "linked scenario" campaign by which I mean I play a series of games in which the result of one game has an affect on the next one.


The opening game of last Fall's Celebration Mini-campaign (click).
(There are 11 posts but they appear in reverse order so please scroll down to start at the beginning.

First I pick a setting which basically means deciding which of my collections I'll use. This gives me the pool of units to choose from. A unit which is destroyed in one scenario cannot be reused in that campaign. If you have a large collection there is merit in setting an initial order of battle (ie a pool of available units)  and only those units may be drawn from for a scenario. Most of my collections aren't that big individually so the whole lot are available as a pool of replacement units but of course that sometimes means replacing lost elite units with militia and so on.

Now, the scenarios don't actually need to be in a logical order. Ron and I have played some good mini-campaigns to win 2 games out of 3 but selected the games by using a random generator thingie to pick the next game  from a list of scenarios he had entered on a spreadsheet on his computer. However, I prefer to go a step farther. Usually I like to start with a some form of surprise attack, a river crossing  perhaps or an attack on an outpost but a straight clash of advance guards like Sawmill Village also works. The next battle will usually be a pitched battle. If one side lost the first game, I choose an attack/defence scenario with a smaller defender on a ridge line perhaps, if the first game was a tie then a straight up fight might be in order or a die roll to see who the attacker is. If one side wins the first two games then the last game will be a rear guard action, if both sides have won one of the games then fight another pitched battle, rolling to see if one side has an advantage such as a surprise or flank attack? That game will either decide the campaign or lead me to keep playing until one side wins or I get tired.

Back in 2012 Bluebear Jeff challenged blogging wargamers to  design a linked scenario campaign and post them. I think I entered a suggestion but I know I took Steve the Wargamer's suggestion and greatly enjoyed it. I haven't done any research to confirm this but Jeff's suggestion may be where I got the idea.

Here is a link to Steve the Wargamer's  linked teaser challenge entry and here is a link to my series of battle reports and summary (in reverse order as blogger does).

Last but not least here' the video I made of the first game:




Next posts more on the mini-campaign I am working on now.




10 comments:

  1. Very nice: good information! Regarding the video--was the music playing in the room "for real" or was that dubbed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that sophisticated. I selected the music to play in the background. Decades ago I had a VHS tape of a 15mm Waterloo game we played. For the first part we were all chatting in the background, then for the next turn we were all silent and finally for the 3rd section we had music. Wellington's victory iir with the simulated musket fire and cannon.

      Delete
  2. Hi ROSS- My Friend and opponent (Greg) is very keen for me to do a Campaign for my MARS 1860 with Maps and such. This'l would be fun to do - though I like your 'Linked Games' idea - sort of 'Best of 3 Games' and maybe this'l be how it will go for MARS 1860. I like your little Video Clip. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing that Kev, sounds really interesting.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kev, Maps are good to have regardless of how you run the campaign.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your clip and post Ross.. A question are your NSW / 18th century rules available currently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but they aren't mine. Normally we use Charge! but this year I've been using A Gentleman's War. (AGW)

      Delete
  4. Oh my Lord, was that really 8 years ago...?? That really was an inspired idea by Jeff (RIP, matey), I must revisit that campaign.. thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It seems like just the other day. I don’t recall whether I actually posted one, but I am pretty sure I had decided what I *would* post, and might still have records in my notebook archive. I should take a look.

      Delete
    2. Hard to believe isn't it Steve. Took me a while to find the posts. I wasn't looking far enough back and didn't have a special label for them.

      Delete