Sunday, March 22, 2020

Solo Miniature Wargaming (Part 2)

Step one was to pick a period and a scenario to play. This could be as simple as two armies meeting in an empty field but I usually like to go for something more. I wanted something simple though so went with one of  Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames scenarios: "Melee". It is loosely inspired by Lundy's Lane (which seemed appropriate for War of 1812 figures)  and has two small forces clashing over a hill with reinforcements for both sides moving on.

Since I'm not using Thomas' rules, and am using a slightly larger table, I often tweak the forces to allow more figures on the table while maintaining the force ratios and ground covered. In this case I didn't feel the need to do so. I did roll on the suggested army chart but substituted light infantry for cavalry as more appropriate and I used my Square Brigadier rules. 

The game begins with two British units on the objective with the US units just marching on. Both sides get reinforcements on set turns as the game progresses. It would be easy to tweak this to vary arrival times but as it turns out my normal rules handled that for me.   To everyone's great surprise I chose to command the British and Canadian forces while running the Americans with the help of the dice.
Turn One. The initiative deck gave the US the first turn allowing the British to occupy the wood with light infantry. There was no firing and no need for  more complex decisions.

Turn 2. The US went first again on the next turn but now they had an important choice to make: Swing left and attack the hill or move up the road and flank it? They know there are US  reinforcements marching on a few turns behind them and that British reinforcements are also on the way. I decided to give each option an equal chance and the dice decided to swing left. The Canadian light troops in the wood opened fire with no appreciable effect.

Turn 3. On the next turn the initiative flipped allowing the British a double move in effect. The Canadian skirmishers scored two hits on the American riflemen and they chose to use the "Driven Back" rule to cancel one hit by falling back in disorder. I could, and maybe should, have rolled to confirm my choice  but it seemed an obvious one so early in the game, especially since they were moving second and would be able to rally before the British could go again. 

The first British reinforcement marched on and the American infantry deployed ready to attack the hill.

Turn 4. Once again the initiative flipped. The rest of the American forces marched on, the riflemen moved back into range and the left advanced towards the hill. Marching the column straight up the road seemed useful but a bit rash so I rolled: 5,6 full speed ahead, 1-4 deploy into line along the edge preparatory to an advance. A 6 came up and on they came! In response the British artillery deployed and opened fire while the infantry deployed in support.


On Turn 5 a Joker came up indicating that the turn was over with neither side acting this turn.

Turn 6. The initiative stayed with the Americans. The new arrivals deployed into line across the road and the riflemen took careful aim and opened fire getting a hit. Then came the big question: "Charge up the hill or move into position for a 2:1 firefight?" The firefight was the safer option but risked having British reinforcements come up before the issue was decided. I decided that a score of 1-4 would mean play it safe while 5-6 would mean charging uphill without preparation.  Up popped a 5 so it was "I'll try Sir!" as Colonel Miller said on the day.

 The supporting unit helped bring the uphill charge to even odds. The British rolled low, the US rolled high, and they took the hill.

On the British half of the turn, the last British units marched on and the battle began in earnest. That, however, is for the next post.

For anyone who isn't already a solo wargamer or is just starting, I highly recommend reading through some of the comments on the previous posts by various  experienced solo wargamers.

23 comments:

  1. Great post. A timely reminder of the joys of solo gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and useful, thank you! By pure coincidence I think I have used the same scenario for the first game on my little blog 'The Ragged Soldier' - I borrowed it from Bob Cordery's Portable Napoleonic Wargame.He calls it Porters Ridge, I translated to Seven Years War (sort of). It's the scenario that keeps on giving! Thanks again for useful solo play ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels like Christmas having followed your link to the Ragged Soldier! (Good pub name!) I have been bemoaning the slow decay in the number of active, interesting (to me) wargaming blogs.

      Only had a quick look at 4 or 5 posts but I like 'em all! I don't seem to be able to leave a comment today though.

      Delete
    2. You did comment, it was 'awaiting moderation'. Many thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. Very nice photos and comprehensive write up of the tremendous Solo Action- well done Ross. Great to see you entertaining yourself there in Canada...I'll be doing some Figure Painting in 25mm over the next few days. Stay Well. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The use of cards in solo gaming is a big step forwards I think .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ross Mac,

    A great post that shows something that you and I have known for years ... that solo wargaming can be great fun.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the dicing for decisions Ross - I've never tried that at game level (only for Campaign level decisions).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my random decisions to be rational and relevant but I also like my opponent to do something I probably wouldn't from time to time. I have actually caught myself by surprise now and then. This seems to do it. (See the last 54mm toy soldier game and the surprise cavalry counter attack. )

      Delete
    2. The same here; I’m dicing for decisions in my solo campaign, but haven’t done much at the tactical level. I’ll have tk give it a try...

      Delete
    3. And we're overdue for a televid game on your fancy table.

      Delete
  7. Great report and photos! In my opinion/experience it's good to use simple mechanisms in solo games, like the cards and the dicing for decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ross. Looks very good. I note that the 1812 modifications for your Brigade rules come up with a strike through the text. Are these the ones you used?

    Kind regards

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quick answer is that they were used for the first part of the previous game but an older version was used for these and the page has now been updated ( Square Brigadier

      Delete
    2. Thanks - are you going to add the 1812 mods as they seem to have gone from the end of the rules?

      Simon

      Delete
    3. Simon, I'm sorry about this. I've been updating the rules and having some Pixie problems (as in what the Bleep! happened to half the changes I just made?) as well as it being in complete. The link from the My Rules page is now the uptodate version. Since I use these for the 1830's and 60's as well as 1812 and early 20thC, and I have gone back to the origial concept of showing results without showing tactical details. (I found I could do any 2 of these 3: grid, simple, detailed tactics)

      Delete