Thursday, March 12, 2020

Too Big To See

I made a startling discovery today. As my eyes get dimmer and my hand less steady, I may need to give up painting 40's and go back to 20mm!

Seriously, I kept finding bits I'd missed and eventually realized that with my fuzzy eyes and strong prescription painting glasses, I couldn't keep a whole boot in focus at once. There's also the little problem of increasingly wavering hand when painting lace etc.. So I grabbed a little guy out of the cupboard and I can see all of him at once and  would no longer dream of doing too much fiddly stuff on a little guy since it disappears at arms length now. However, doing 54mm Toy Soldiers still seems to work and be easy so we'll see.
The first half of the Greys, still minus carbines
Anyway, the first half of the Greys are done and have their first coat of varnish if not their carbines (need to cast 2 more). I also realized today, that one of these privates was cast in the officer mould and his ammo pouch is actually a bit of flash, or maybe sprue, that happened to be in the right spot. Yup, good thing I have naturally rosy cheeks. However, I have persevered, what I kept missing up close with glasses on, I won't see at arms length without them! (The horse actually gave him away - hey! That horse moved its leg!!)

Hopefully tomorrow will see the unit finished and I get back to nice simple skirmishers in stripy trousers.

17 comments:

  1. I don't usually see the bits I've missed until I see photos of the based and glossed finished figures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's often such bits, this was just worse than usual and on bigger figures. Swapping glasses seems to have helped.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ross- I generally paint my 25mm miniatures by eye - though sometimes I may do a detailed part using a small magnifying glass to help and a very fine brush...Your cavalry look splendid! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely grey horses and an overall effective toy soldier look. I am a clumsy painter who often misses what he tries to paint, never been that great to be honest but the fun’s the thing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I empathise - terrible eyesight has come with age, all very depressing, still the games are still fun despite having to squint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, they look good to me Ross. I'm finding that at aged 62 painting 6mm figures is getting just that bit harder to focus on, so guess I'm lucky. I don't need glasses for painting figures but can't see the numbers of the buses without my glasses when I'm out until it's almost on top of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started needing glasses to paint detail when I was in my early 50's. They help but its not the same.

      Delete
  6. A good coat of gloss varnish covers many mistakes .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I count myself fortunate that my eyes got so bad I had (as a matter of some urgency, as crossing the road was becoming dangerous) to get them fixed. I find now that with my glasses on (progressive lenses) I can paint at least to my own satisfaction!

    I find your colourful cavalry have a fine and attractive 'toy soldier' look. They'll make a splendid unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through 3 sets of increasingly costly progressive lenses (TG for the old company vision plan) before giving them up. Finally a few years ago I found an eye doctor who explained why which also explained why I have extreme difficulty seeing small moving objects. In simplified lay terms as I understand it, one eye is slower to focus than the other so with the bifocals, every time I looked from one segment to the other there was a short moment, sometimes painful, when neither eye was in focus. Not good when walking down stairs or trying to look from figure to paint tins to reference book etc. So I've gone back to ordinary cheap magnifying reading glasses which work pretty well for painting.

      Delete
  8. These are very smart indeed Ross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart as in looking smart, well I am happy with them. How clever they are on campaign remains to be seen!

      Delete
  9. They look good to me Ross. Nice straight lines on the saddlecloth trim too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Actually it does look like the lines have got there! They were pretty wonky at the first go when I was too hesitant and violated the "look where the brush is going, not where it is" principle and that stuck in my mind.

      Delete