Saturday, March 21, 2020

Solo Miniature Wargaming (Part 1)

Solo wargaming did not come naturally to me. I don't like to think of myself as competitive, it goes against my upbringing but I will confess that there was a time when facing an opponent across a table full of miniatures brought out a powerful urge to win in a younger me. When I retired early to the country with most of my gaming opponents living anywhere from 100 to 2,000 km away  I decided that I needed to learn to play solo.

Stuart Asquith and Don Featherstone were my main guides, helped somewhat by CS Grant's Programmed Scenarios and a slough of other incidental sources. The result is recorded in my 2008/9  Game a Week blog   where 39 of the 52 games were played solo as I taught myself how to do it and have fun. The battle reports are very brief and say little about how I did it, but those games laid the foundation for my enjoyment of the solo aspects of the hobby since then.

A face to face game with friends still trumps a solo game, and I enjoy the occasional game via internet video chat though I could really use better equipment and better lighting for hosting, ( See Posts about miniature wargames via the internet .) but solo wargaming is now a leisurely joy to me in its own right rather than a desperate last resort.

Sep 2013: Rob's view of a Rough Wooing game on my table 2,000 km away.

There are a lot of ways to go about solo gaming but for now I'm just going to write about how I go about it. Feel free to leave questions in a comment, or if shy by sending me an email (address at top of blog). No questions are "dumb" or offensive, all are welcome.

OK, this intro is getting  a bit long so I'll have a quick look at how I get started once the decision to play is made  and the next post will get into a play by play account of a game including how and why decisions were made and so on.

The first thing I do is pick a period and scenario and adapt it to my troops, rules and setup. I find published scenarios invaluable for putting some exterior limits on myself though if push comes to shove, there is always the option of writing up a new scenario when none of the 300 or so published ones I have seem to fit my mood. That includes scenarios found in scenario books, magazines, and rulebooks even if not using those rules that day (Blastoff Bridge anyone?).

If the scenario includes a programmed option such as in CS Grant's Programmed Scenarios then sometimes I will pick a side and follow the instructions for the other side but normally I just "change hats" during the game, doing my best as the "Blue" player and then as the "Red" player but I always pick one side as "me" and make all the choices and accept all the responsibility for decisions good or bad.

For the "other" side, I will usually make the obvious decisions but where there is more than one good option I will use an old technique of setting out a couple of valid choices, weighting them if appropriate, then choosing one with a die roll. We will see examples of this as we do the play-through. Everything else goes as normal with me rolling for both sides with utter, ruthless, honesty and the courage to accept that my favourite unit just rolled three 1's!  In the end, it is my decisions about battle plans and tactical choices that make or break the game for me. Did a gamble work? Did I have that reserve in hand? Did the "enemy" and the decision tree die pull a manoeuvre that I hadn't thought of when I made my last move and can I recover? This is where identifying with one side helps inject some emotion so it is more than an intellectual exercise. For me that aspect is crucial to the depth of my enjoyment.

40mm Scruby War of 1812 US and British infantry with an Irregular General and my own original homecast Riflemen and Infantry officers.

OK the table is set, tomorrow we will look at the chosen scenario and get the game rolling.

29 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it Ross, looks like its coming to all of us... :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like solo gaming - I tended to be very competitive when facing an opponent and find solo gaming a lot more relaxing. Plus I can do things in 'sensible' rather than 'win at all cost' way! (Sensible as in... if something goes wrong I can keep it going as it would in real life than havs a miraculous change of instantaneous orders...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more coooerative than competitive these days though echoes of my old competitiveness awake at times.

      Delete
  3. I guess I will be getting organized for more solo games as well. I enjoy them when I do them, but getting set up is harder than it seems it should be. Personally, I also usually change hats as needed, and rules with some of the random activation systems that can be irritating in pair/group play (e.g. Dragon Rampant) work well in solo, since there’s less need (or point) to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like the planning though I don't mind a few wrinkles.

      Delete
  4. I do a lot of solo games, playing both sides to their best advantage and favouring neither - but your comment that this is an ‘intellectual exercise‘ is really interesting and has me thinking. Will it change me?, no! I have gamed that way for too many decades, but the concept of intellectual exercise fascinates me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deleted due to unforgiving grammatical mistake! It should have said ....... As an add-on, I am not at all competitive, I just like the play, so I wonder whether that feeds into my impartiality as to which side wins?

      Delete
    2. Nothing wrong with an intellectual exercise, I go there myself sometimes.

      Delete
  5. If I play Solo I usually favor one side as 'Me' and secretly hope the 'Bad Guys' loose the battle...I'd have to say I do like having a real opponent- having played against several chaps -I now only have one Friend who I game with these days ...about six years ago I woke up and isolated myself from the group as I no longer enjoyed their winging, cheating, etc- My Friend assures me that basically they are self centered idiots! - and I'm a lot better without them. Have fun there. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy solo gaming Ross, and by and large follow the pattern you've set out yourself. As for identifying with a side, though, I prefer to look on it as a page in a history book, and the outcomes of the battles will tie together for a campaign. Each leader is named, and their performances are added to their history too. That way, I play both sides to the best of my ability, and look for who performed the best over a series of games. It makes it a little less of an intellectual exercise in defeating yourself that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the concept but am lazy and sometimes lack imagination so I tend to invent settings and characters after the fact.

      Delete
  7. I started solo play only about 10 years ago, mainly to play all those rules I could not find anyone else to play. I also tend to play both sides to the best of my ability, or as best as I think I can anyway. I sometimes do not take sides and simply enjoy the narrative. But other times I definitely do have a favourite side and hope before dice rolls they will be good for them! But still play as best I can for the other side. Regardless of the outcome, I still am on the wining side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only times I've "lost" a solo game is when something was 'off' (rules, lack of sleep oc got interrupted a lot, new rules that flop, etc etc) and I got bored or lost intrest. Rather rare.

      Delete
  8. Been solo gaming since I started 50 years ago , but I find there is always something new in the solo scene . I like to set up a game and play it at my own pace a move here and there over a few days without my opponent having to leave when his time is up .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a photo of me playing a solo wargame when I was a kid so I guess it was in my blood and just took a while to re emerge.

      Delete
  9. I am not a club'able fellow on the large.. other than DG who I get to play against no more than 2 or 3 times a year, I've not had another opponent in 30 odd years.. paint me unsociable, but I like a solo game... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting stuff, and I'm looking forward to more about solo gaming. Very nice photograph at the bottom of those 40mm Scruby figures by the way.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good start!

    I have to admit I usually do favor one side over the other and find it difficult to truly be impartial. That said, I see it more as an unfolding story and I like to see the good guys prevail, so it's not so important to me personally if the bad guys are disadvantaged. Not that I deliberately "cheat"; I still play by the rules and let the dice fall where they may. I also try to find ways to introduce uncertainty, so I can't be sure how ell the good guys will do or how the story will unfold in its details. Maybe what I'm doing is more like structured make-believe than a competitive game? (rhetorical question)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Structured make believe sounds good. With my 54's I like to weave a bit of a story after the fact.

      Delete
  12. Solo gaming is indeed fun and I am glad you have encouraged folk by means of this post to give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me now when I can serve as your video chat opponent (or AI).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, for a video chat I need more light at the very least. Hopefully this summer if the world is still here. For an AI I need to get organized ......

      Delete
  14. I'm a bit late to the party, but I've been solo campaigning for a long time.

    To cut to the chase, here's a link to the rules that I've adopted/used/tinker with. It's a goulash of strategic and tactical considerations and approaches. Coming from Featherstone, Grant and Silvester's books. https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CUi40wW6OSm4FhTzdOoH-ct0NxW9jImGyF-okiMOrk

    I podcast and blog about my solo wargames campaign as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and the link. I'll have a closer look at the rules when my eyes aren't drooping after a day of manual labour in the garden. My hat is off to those with the patience, disicpline and attention to detail required to properly enjoy this sort of thing.

      I also had a quick look at your blogs. Back in college in '76 I was introduced to D&D and enjoyed it but have never gotten back to it. It's always felt like a bit or a rabbit hole and one wouldn't know when you might re-emerge or perhaps that since I already have almos never had enough time for my main hobby, I'd best not tempt myself with another just as compelling! But, there may be years ahead yet and one never knows.
      cheers - Ross

      Delete