Saturday, January 2, 2021

A New Year, an Old Battlefield

 Recycle, reuse, right?

I'm all set to try out the same scenario in a different setting: A Gentleman's War in the French Revolution.


But first, I replayed the Zulu game. It seemed to me that my last minute reversion to the old Square Brigadier play sequence had been a mistake. So I brought back my Model Major General sequence with a shared fire phase and played it again. It worked like a charm.

2nd to last turn.


This time the game lasted the full 15 turns and victory or defeat came down to the last die roll. The Zulus had over run the wagon laager and the Brits were down to 1 company of sailors, 1 hit away from extinction. The third wave of Zulus was just crossing the river but the Zulus still had one unit in melee. They scored the necessary hit but Col Hill once again stepped forward to steady them. (5,6 =cancel 1 hit, 1=leader wounded.) This time it worked. 

Damn close run thing! Maybe he will get that medal!

6 comments:

  1. It is always interesting replaying games with different rules to see how outcomes differ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I also find it interesting sometimes to replay with the same rules and plan just to see if the result varies.

      Delete
  2. Col. Hill (MC pending) should get a promotion. The Revolutionary Wars figures are looking splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need to get back to the painting table so I can have a choice of units!

      Delete
  3. And this is exactly why I love visiting your blog, Ross. Love the figures, the thought in your rules mechanisms, and the enthusiasm you share. Best of luck in 2021.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh shucks, thanks. May your 2021 be a fortunate one.

      Delete