Monday, January 4, 2021

Not Quite, Gentleman!

 Well there I was on New Year's, a little tired after a week of indulgence and too much herbal tea (sighhhh), and  there was a messy table full of the bodies of zulus and British soldiers and seamen. It seemed only right to dismiss them to their respective homes. Then I had an empty terrain staring at me.......... hmm.... I wonder how this scenario would work in a different period with different rules?

Not Quite A Gentleman's French Revolution. Note the improvised Cycle track to tie AGW cycles to OHW turns.

It has taken a fair bit of thought and a few games to manage to balance A Gentleman's War's lack of turns to One Hour Wargames scenario fixed turn limits, but,  I think I now have a good method of doing it. At least it has worked for 2 games in a row. 

What I have done is count each sides cycles. When both players have played at least as many cycles as the scenario has turns, the game is over and victory is assessed.  To make it easier to track, I quickly made a little scoreboard out of foam core and used coloured pins to advance each side as they started a new cycle. Once the first player reaches the end, that side no longer needs to track cycles. Once the other side finishes their 15th cycle, the game is over. 
Casualties were high on both sides and at last the French got to recycle a unit!

Once again the game played well with a fair degree of uncertainty. That aspect reminds me of my old MacDuff rules though with more fiddly bits and modifiers. I really need to make some period specific Quick Reference sheets for the French Revolution and print them out. 

Magically appearing on the other road (Good thing most of the French were in the new universal uniform!) the column attacked, took 1/2 the town and then broke momentarily. The Skirmishers moved in to finish the job.


More important is that like MacDuff, it takes longer to play and requires more thinking, chart checking and dice rolling than most of my current rules, especially when playing solo. Playing more often would help but isn't likely to happen this year. I'm trying to resist doing a lazy man's set of rules for my French Rev armies to use at home. There are lots of other troops to exercise! 

The Grand Finale. Three French units were in on the kill. It was nip and tuck with both Generals in the thick of it but on the 14th French cycle, the last Highlander fell along with the British General.
Vive la republique!
 

The table has now been cleared and the question is: "What shall I play after I finish painting up my first unit of the new Hat ACW?" 

10 comments:

  1. Nice layout, Ross. You know, a buddy and I were discussing MacDuff over a gaming session on New Years Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best I not ask....

      Oddly enough, I haven't had MacDuff out in a few years but since the 40mm F&IW have made the cut to stay, and since I've been playing the occasional A Gentleman's War which brings MacDuff to mind, I've been thinking of adding a few more Brits and Colonial types and calling him out of retirement to see what I think.

      Delete
    2. Go ahead and ask! We were discussing trying "Rough Wooing" as a remote game and I brought up my familiarity with MacDuff. Perhaps I ought to dust off my copy that must be around here somewhere and see how it has held up? Last time I used it was more than twenty years ago with my colonials. I have long since sold off the colonials but I recall using it for FIW too. Or, I could be dreaming...

      Delete
    3. Both versions made it to the Courier so could be.

      Delete
  2. Looks like an exciting end to the game Ross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the defenders looking close to win the 3rd time in a row I confess to cheering for the attackers who had some amazingly bad dice.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a lot of fun Ross...
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete