Thursday, January 21, 2021

2021: A Vague Plan

Twenty Twenty One still sounds like a Scifi date to me but it needs to be dealt with anyway.  This past year was a good time to have had life long hermit tendencies and they served me well and will doubtless do so again this year. None the less, I might find myself able to play a face to face in person game again before the year is out and it will be welcome. Plans are afoot  to improve the lighting in my games room and to acquire a real webcam to facilitate better video-chat games and hopefully there will be a few more of those.  In the meantime, the solo games will continue unabated!

There will definitely be some of these.

While reviewing the unruly mob  of furloughed  forties on the bottom shelves, and my officially not-really-plans, I decided it was time to decide what to do with the idlers that I obviously don't wish to dismiss. Tentatively they were supposed to mesh with the 1812 lads, themselves in need of attention. It didn't take long to remember my old determination that every part of my collection provide a different style of game in some way. Two days later, after poking about with figures and looking at old blog posts and old rules, I decided that I'd now rather play what I like than worry about duplication, and apparently don't mind using the figures from 1812 and the 1840's together against enemies both historical and fictional, using the same basic rules I'm using for the 54mm Toy Soldier games, just set earlier with  close order formations and less effective shooting. That should make enough difference in the games to matter and be less confusing and easier on the brain and memory. Oh well, searching on labels and rereading old blog posts from the last decade was interesting and sometimes enjoyable as well as useful 

The 1812-1850 40mm figures have already begun being sorted, organized and based to make units (1/2 battalions or "wings") of 2 stands, each of 4 figures for use with the Model Major General  on the hex grid once a few more lines and modifiers are added and so on. Once all that is done, life and gaming continue with only a few gentle ripples.

So, hopefully some of something like this before too long.

I was a little surprised that in 2020 I had easily managed to table each of my Active collections  as well as all of my Reserve ones and at least one that had supposedly been retired. Since the original goal was to have armies played with and/or added to at least once in 3 years, I just remarked them all as Active. It is highly unlikely that I will be co-hosting at, or even attending,  any conventions this year so all together, the goal for this year is to play or paint what I feel like when I feel like it! That's probably going to be harder than it sounds but I'll give it my best effort. 

and I'm pretty sure there'll be more from this lot.

So.....what's up next...and after that? Why are you asking me?  Any suggestions in case I can't make up my mind?




15 comments:

  1. Would love to see more of your 40MM NQTSYW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living the lifestyle of a hermit paid big dividends in 2020 keeping one save while allowing time to nurture your hobby. In whatever direction you take in 2021, I will be watching from my own heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best kind of objective: "the goal for this year is to play or paint what I feel like when I feel like it". It is a hobby after all. It's what we work/have worked for, is it not. And it's living in the moment so very on trend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I've always avoided being trendy, I guess there IS a time for everything. :)

      Delete
  4. Keep up the good work! In theory my first convention of 2021 would be Salute on the 10th or 18th April if it's still going ahead but the chances of me going are pretty remote. After that, Norwich and Partizan in April... not sure about either yet - not making any long term plans! Big 'plus' of lockdown is that it has released stupid amounts of funding for wargaming due to not being able to spend money by going anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since your asking for suggestions... more 25mm "Gathering of Hosts" would be splendid, but otherwise keep doing more the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d like to see the fantasy collection get an outing too.

      Delete
    2. Noted and noted again! Will have to see what's ready for painting. Gotta paint before we play!

      Delete
  6. Love the siege tower - always wanted one after seeing a cover of Battle magazine with the Hinchcliffe tower on it... Still don't have one though. I have a mighty fortress so perhaps I should build a couple for my LOTR forces...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky acquisition, came as part of an offer of a good deal on the Elastolin collection of an older than me wargaming friend of a friend. Always had a thing for siege towers but the Elastolin one is the best of all.

      Delete
  7. 'The plan is there is no plan' - excellent! That way, everything is a pleasant surprise..
    Looking forward to seeing whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if there is no plan, how do I know what NOT to do? :)

      Delete