Monday, February 7, 2022

Bring Up The Guns!

The reason that I suddenly put a push on to bring 3 of my 1790's units up to the new strength was that they were being called upon to serve at our group's 2nd face to face, age of Covid game, scheduled in the near future. A minor change in arrangements has led to a smaller battlefield, possible for the 40's but not ideal, so instead of the 40's,  I'm preparing a 1/72nd ACW game which has already proved its ability to provide a game on a slightly smaller table. 


During my recent game, I was dismayed to find that several of the ancient airfix guns had broken.  They are now scheduled to become wrecked battery markers but I was already short on artillery. This gives me a reason to paint up the two gun teams I received from the Ragged Soldier Blog

Of course it also gives me an excuse to buy some new metal guns to add to the horde of Airfix Ordnance Rifles that make up the majority of my guns.


15 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a complete Airfix ACW gun team! Jacklex guns are rather nice and compliment Airfix very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhe new additions under the new order look pretty appealing. Just need to find the funds.

      Delete
  2. I always loved the old Airfix ACW artillery box and the fact it only had one limber still annoys me .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed! Doubly so since there were 2 sets of limber riders!

      Delete
  3. It's always nice to see Airfix figs in action (or being prepared for action).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plastic artillery set is a really nice one. Looking forward to seeing it all painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classic set that, "back in the day", provided a host of wargamers with artillery for many a 19th and early 20thC battle .... with a little work.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I saw the ACWs before. At first glance, I thought the wrecked guns were Napoleonic guns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk, Not paying attention, too many of those double coffees!

      Most people seem to assume that the old Airfix ACW guns were a poor model of a "Napoleon" ACW 12 pdrs but a close look will show they are a fairly good repreentation of the standard Federal Ordnace 3" Rifle.

      Delete
  6. >too many of those double coffees!

    ("harumph!" So much for me experimenting with caffeine-free coffee.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you have Airfix artillery replacements, such a wonderful kit and memories of them. Did the old set get brittle and broke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 years ago I became the ...custodian.. of the amalgamated acw collections of a couple of local wargamers from the 70's/80's which included 8 sets of Airfix ACW arty to add to my single pair of guns. The broken ones came from that artillery pool. The recent gift of this set of indeterminate age was serendipity.

      Delete
  8. I'm so pleased to see those guns will get to be used at last, they have waited a long time - and they will get to be in fantastic company! I think they will probably have been bought some time between about 1974, when I probably acquired Terry Wise's 'Battle Gaming' book with its splendid ACW battle, and 1978 when his Airfix guide to ACW appeared. I only had a few figures, didn't 'get into' ACW so much, but have still got both books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apart from the pleasure of painting up one of these sets again (the last one I did myself was in the early '80's) they get extra kudos for being at hand and eager when a couple more guns were sorely needed. More than that, I think they've turned out well.

    ReplyDelete